Looking for Breed advice for Roo

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Doebob, Mar 24, 2017.

1. Doebob

Doebob Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2017
    Indiana
    Hi all,

I am a new Chicken mama and I won't be getting my chicks until the end of May. My husband and I just closed on our house and we wanted to get settled in before we started. I have been doing my reading and studying all the information out there for general flock management, but I have a dilemma that I was hoping to get advice on. I am getting 10 pullets from mypetchicken.com. They are all different breeds. The list of the breeds I am getting are below. I have gotten permission from the hubs to add a cockerel to that list, but I am not sure which breed to go with. And since I am only allowed one rooster (per city and hubs), I worry about getting one that will not suit, I am leaning towards a Silver Wyandotte or a New Hampshire Red. I would like to go more towards utility breeds, so that I can hatch and raise meat birds.

I live on an acre property in the middle of the city. My home is a corner lot with busy streets on the front and left side of the property, but the backyard is fully fenced with a large privacy fence. We have neighbors within a stone's throw of the fence on the back and right sides of the property. I plan on turning a 10x12 shed into a functioning coop/human work area and have plans to make a 12x45 run for the flock before winter hits again. Until then we will brood inside the house and house them in a temporary pre-fab coop we bought when they are big enough for the great outdoors.

Here is my list of girls already on the order: (names are in parenthesis)

White Leghorn (Foggie/Foghorn)
    RIR (Uma)
    Buff Orpinton (LaLa)
    Barred Plymouth Rock (Judy)
    Silver Laced Wyandotte (LuLu)
    Speckled Sussex (Chooks McKenzie)
    Easter Egger (Esther)
    New Hampshire Red (Molly)
    Silver Spangled Hamburg (Dottie)
    Buff Brahma (Queenie/Queen Cleopatra)

Anyone have issues with a rooster and large variety of hens/breeds? I am assuming that the rooster will crossbreed with any and all of the ladies.

I am willing to use a no crow collar, but I would like to try to go without. I know that Wyandottes have a reputation of being "chatty", does that mean a rooster would crow more often? I do realize that each bird will have its own personality and preferences, but a breed trait would be good to know.

Thanks for any help and advice,

Sherry

2. Jetblack2004

Jetblack2004 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2016
    East Sussex
    The moment I read the title I knew which breed to suggest. The Light Sussex cockerel would be perfect for you. They're beautiful, never aggressive, and good with the hens. They are a dual purpose bird which means they'll produce good meat and egg birds. I personally like the Rhode Island Red cockerel but they are quite loud and some people say they're aggressive (though I've never had a problem).

I strongly suggest a Light Sussex cockerel for you.

-Jet

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  3. Doebob

Feb 26, 2017
    Indiana
    Forgot to mention, that I am open to any utility breed even if it isn't one of the ten I have for the girls. I am looking possibly getting a jersey giant.

4. Jetblack2004

Jetblack2004 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2016
    East Sussex
    Ok. I don't know much about Jersey Giants.

-Jet

5. Doebob

Feb 26, 2017
    Indiana
    Thanks, Jet! I will definitely look at the light Sussex and put them on the list for consideration. I really am just trying to get advice on what would work well with what I have already ordered. Nothing is decided, yet. I have two months before my girls are shipped and little less than that to change the order. I don't want to change it too many times though, so I am doing my research.

Sherry

6. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

I would cut out the RR and White leg horns....Possibly the barred Rocks too....A bit more aggressive and require higher protein feed....

Stick with Heritage breeds....Orpingtons, Ameruacana, Brahma, Australorp.... Sussex , Cochin, Danish browns....:)

A nice friendly Rooster breed is a Brahma......

Cheers!

7. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Or you could wait and see if your 10 pullets are in fact pullets. You could end up with an oops cockerel. If not, and by fall you still want one, there will be a glut of excess cockerels people are giving away.

As for the "utility" breeds, remember the hatcheries breed towards egg production instead of meat. So the extra males won't have much meat on them compared to breeder bred birds, and both will be quite different than the more traditional meaties.

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I agree with keesmom. Hatchery sexing is touted to be about 90% accurate, so by the odds you're likely to have an Oops cockerel in your bunch.

since you're new with chickens, I'd also advise just waiting for a year or so before bringing in a cockerel. One problem is, they mature faster than the pullets. Since all the birds are the same age, there are no older hens for the cockerel to turn his attentions to, and no older rooster to keep him in check. So, you wind up with a hormone flooded cockerel and pullets who are immature for a few more months, and things can get pretty tense in the coop for that time. If you wait until next year, or even later in the year when your girls are mature, and bring in a young cockerel, things will go nicer as the ladies will be more confident and willing to teach the young man proper manners.

9. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I agree with PP about RIR. Never met a RIR who was not a flock menace. Leghorns can also be flighty, and possibly aggressive. Paired with the right roo, PBR and SLW will provide sex linked chicks. Before making your final breed selection, I suggest that you look at 2 sources: Henderson's chicken breeds chart, and this thread. There are some nice charts in the first post. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/261208/sex-linked-information

10. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

A Brahma is a slow maturing Cockerel...They do not get aggressive and do not crow lots...;)

Usually the Pullets are laying eggs before he ever crows.....:)

Then again, what do I know?.....lol...;)

Cheers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by