Looking for breed APPENZELLER SPITZHAUBEN

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by madelynbelle, Apr 27, 2009.

1. madelynbelle

madelynbelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    PUGET SOUND
    I think I got one of these from Dells in the lot of bantys that I bought. I am having a hard time finding them, or actually finding someone that has good stock to get birds or eggs from. They dont seem to be very popular here in the US and I dont want to get any from the hatcheries as it seems finding good birds with correct coloring, feathers ect dont come out of the mass production lines very often. Does anyone know of this breed or who sells good quality ones. I am looking for eggs to hatch:jumpy

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    CarlaOK and Julie Gabbard would be the breeders you want to use for quality Spitzhaubens. Remember it is a fairly new breed and alot of work is need to improve on the breed itself. Too many of them ended up as Polish heads instead of mohawks and feather tips as well.

You will cull heavy for that reason. Out of 25 chicks from Ideal, two of pullets are acceptable due to their mohawks. Same for CarlaOk's chicks and Julie's.

Julie's got the best Spitzhaubens since her stock are NOT from hatcheries but old time breedings of the original stock that was imported in the 1950's. Carla from TX has some but I think her birds are getting old and not getting enough eggs from them either.

There is one other breeder here in Illinois but has not been actively breeding them or selling the eggs and her stock is getting older like Carla in TX has been.

I am not sure how much for Julie's eggs but I think it is $30 for a doz, not including shipping?? She sells them on Ebay now and then.

3. madelynbelle

madelynbelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    PUGET SOUND
    I actually emailed Julie about her birds to see what she has. I really like the looks of the birds. I wonder if that is why there are not many breeders because there is so much work to do and if you have to cull 3/4 of your hatches that can get frustrating I would imagine. Thanks for the information that you gave me, it will save me a lot of hunting around, at least I know I am headed in the right direction with Julie. Did you get any of this breed too?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by