Looking for breeders in W. PA

itsazoo

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 6, 2008
Western PA
Looking for breeders/hatcheries local to Pittsburgh, PA.

I'm really interested in getting Appenzeller Spitzhauben!

I'd like hens only (prefer pullets or younger) for a backyard flock.

Any info would be helpful, thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I know jody has silkies, and i think ameracaunas. her username is hinkjc.
smile.png

I'm in the same boat, wanting just a few similar chicks and looked at hinkjc's website and it's quite impressive but I think that they are located in eastern PA.

After some confusion was cleared up for me in another post , my list has changed a bit. I'm looking for local breeders/hatcheries with the following breeds:

Appenzeller Spitzhauben
Ameraucana/ Araucana/ EE
Faverolles
Wyandottes
Other cold hardy rare/unique breeds

Turns out Silkies don't have the "wing-power" to get into my coop.
sad.png

I have a pair of ameraucanas. I plan on hatching their eggs in the spring. I will keep you in mind. I live in Washington County.

It looks like it might be easier to buy eggs & hatch 'em. Problem is, what to do with the practically inevitable roosters? Don't want roosters, don't wanna eat the roosters, can you actually sell/trade/give away roosters? Where do all the unwanted roo's go?

Yes, please keep me in mind, palabeco. I would like to pick up 2 or 3 chicks/pullets and the spring suits me just fine.
smile.png

With a few more hens, it probably wouldn't even matter if one was a roo, since I don't have one currently with my 5 hens.

Last edited:
I was sold Ameracaunas, but come to find out the color is wrong.
sad.png
They lay blue eggs and have slate colored legs. But there coloring is not recognized. I also have a trio of Spitz. 2 roos and 1 hen. The roos just started crowing. She is not laying yet. If you are interested in (Ameracauna) eggs I can ship you some. PM me for prices and how many you want. I can put you on a waiting list for the Spitz if you are interested!

I live in northern Ohio. So I am not too far from you. I can even hatch them out for you and you could come pick them up. Just PM me and let me know.
smile.png

Quote:
My unwanted roos go to the farm auction. They probably ended up in the stew pot, But thats ok with me, I don't like stewed chicken.

Back
Top Bottom