Looking for breeders of production (eggs/meat) focused Silver Laced Wyandottes?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by katefollot, Apr 7, 2017.

1. katefollot

katefollot Out Of The Brooder

I would be using the SLW to breed lacing into Naked Necks and really want to start with stock that doesn't drag me backwards in terms of egg production (200+ a year) and body size (6-8lbs). I know SLW's are a dime a dozen and very easy to just order from a hatchery, but as I said, I don't want to drag myself backwards, so if there are any breeders that pay a little more attention to their stock than hatcheries do, I would much prefer to get eggs or chicks from them. Anyone have suggestions?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
  3. simplify

simplify Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2015
    I agree with you about getting good breeding stock. I am only 2 yrs into backyard flocks and learning so much from this site. I bought a doz slw cks (including 2 cockerels) from ideal poultry last summer. Ideal was great with my entire order process. My however is that many of my hens are not all that pretty in their lacing. I hope i can clean up my breed by using my best birds for mating. I think most of the hatcheries are just that, they get hatching eggs from different suppliers and just hatch and ship. I dont know that is true for all of them but i did see a youtube video from one of the big hatcheries and that was what it looked like. I now have a new appreciation for the individual breeders and the work they must put into breeding and culling thier flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by