looking for bresse eggs

The Rancho

In the Brooder
9 Years
Nov 2, 2010
Does anyone know where I could purchase Bresse eggs for hatching?
Greenfire only sells chicks and pullet age. Not sure if there were any people here on byc who might have a small flock and be willing to sell a dozen or two eggs.
Thanks in advance!

I had been looking at the GreenFire farms website just last week and was amazed at the cost of the Bresse. Has anyone eaten one before?

Last edited:
I don't think it's worth the price because they won't be real Bresse. The flavor comes from where they were raised, the chickens used in France are prized for the region they were raised in. A corn fed Bresse will taste like corn fed chicken.

Now if you get your pasture just right, then it might taste like the real thing. The Canadian Blue Foot is the next best thing, again though, it depends on the pasture. Selective breeding made for the fine bones and such, but it's the feed they're getting that makes all the difference.

i've done my homework, i think its worth the investment. i think diet will make the difference. worth a try at the least

I looked at them at Greenfire yesterday, wow--expensive. What kind of diet should they have? Perhaps next year we'll have some breeders with eggs. I just got 6 Greenfire Farm Cream Legbar eggs--was all I could afford for now. Im excited to have these eggs!

I wonder what kind of feed can make such a huge difference? Gotta get me some of that!
big_smile.png
Just read an article about them and the picture showed them eating dried corn on the cob. Although WI weather can't compare to the climate of France...

Last edited:
Something about the minerals in the soil, the types of greens, there is something just different that makes the fat perfect and the meat texture just awesome for chicken.

That's what I want, the Cream Legbars.. blue eggs and sexlinked within a pure breed! The Bresse, I looked into them a couple of years ago, before Greenfire had them, and the closest thing was the Canadian Blue Foot. No eggs anywhere to be found, too new and obscure.

I want to know the grass mix, and what minerals exactly are in the soil. I'd imagine any supplemented feed is from the same area too. They have some pretty strict rules on raising them for market. That strictness is supposed to be observed in the Blue Foot too.

I wonder if Greenfire has the real deal Bresse lines from France, or if they're Canadian. Last I heard online, France did not export those birds, which is why the Blue Foot was created from scratch, starting in the 80's I think. It's hard enough to get a processed Bresse out of France, let alone the live bird.

I have a small flock of Bresse from greenfire.I'm currently in the process of checking fertility. It's a small flock (first time layers) and I do ship hatching eggs. If interested PM me.

Back
Top Bottom