1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Looking for Buff Orpingtons in homestead/ Redlands Florida.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Gatorhunter8055, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Gatorhunter8055

Gatorhunter8055 New Egg

Apr 20, 2016
    Hey guys, Just finished my coop and the family and I cannot wait to get our new featherd friends. We are looking for Buff Orpingtons because our research shows the are very tame and good with children and produce large brown eggs which is what we want. Does anyone know where we can find some hens locally? ive only found chicks. We would want to start with hens.. any advice would be deeply apreciated.

Randi

2. chicklover 1998

chicklover 1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    Welcome to BYC, most hatcheries are willing to ship started birds so you could research hatcheries. not judging just wondering why you don't want to have chicks?

3. mandamay28

mandamay28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2016
    Hi there. My family is also just beginning too raise chickens! We just ordered our chicks today! I looked long and hard for Buff Orpingtons locally ( Daytona Beach area) I couldn't find any either... although I was looking for chicks and also other breeds of the same age. I ordered from My Pet Chicken. Not sure if they have older hens or not though. Good luck!

4. Gatorhunter8055

Gatorhunter8055 New Egg

Apr 20, 2016
    Hey guys thank you for your response... good luck to you guys also id love to see pics of your settup. I can only do hens because i dont feel that my coop is good enough for small baby chicks. my settup is geared for hens. later in the future i will settup an area large enough to incorporate new hens. next year i will incubate and hatch some chicks as a father daughter project.

5. chicklover 1998

chicklover 1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    Sounds like a good idea, I remember way back when I was 7 my moms hair dresser gave her some fertile eggs and a tiny incubator, and I got to hatch out some eggs then gave the chicks back to her.

6. mlm Mike

mlm Mike Sunna and Mani

Aug 14, 2010
    Hardy Township, OH
    [​IMG] Good luck!

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. Buff Orpingtons are very popular, for the reasons you mentioned. You may want to post on your state thread . Just put Florida in the search box and it will come up. You may find what you are looking for, in your area.

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

9. flocking nuts

flocking nuts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2016
    Homestead, Florida
    Hi Randi,

Hows chickening going for you? We just moved to Redland, and totally love it. We got some chicks at sunset feed on 296 and old dixie. They didnt have buff orpingtons. We got 6 chicks: 3 black astrolopes, 1 white leg horn, 1 Rhode Island red, and a white brahma. They have been healthy, and seem to have been sexed correctly.

The light brama is very friendly, shes the 1st out to say hi, follows me around the yard, and allows my almost 4 y/o daughter to hold her. We kept them in a dog crate with cardboard on the bottom half to stop the little buggers from escaping.

Wendy

10. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    Hi and [​IMG] You already have some great advice, so I just wanted to mention that if you wanted to see pictures of everyone's setups, you can check out their "My Coop" page, where lots of people have posted pictures and sometimes how they built it. Good luck! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by