Looking for chicken friends

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ChikAnne, Oct 18, 2019.

1. Newbee mistakes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Be my friend

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ChikAnne

ChikAnne In the Brooder

Oct 18, 2019
    Hello I’m Karri Anne and my goal is to create my own home stead on my half-acre lot. I am a part-time secretary working two nights a week at a hospital and have a guesthouse B&B. My goal is to have all my own food with a garden, eggs, and honey. I would like to think I can survive without grocery stores for a while if I had to or wanted to. I also adore animals and my chickens will be family to me.

2. BullChick

BullChick Enslaved by a Duckling

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
    2818D32C-3997-470B-8614-0E3B0D60F71F.jpeg

3. townchicks

townchicks Free Ranging

Dec 1, 2016
    Contra Costa county, Ca.
    Welcome to the flock. You'll make lots of chicken loving friends here. Have you gotten chickens yet? If not, start with the coop pages to get an idea of what will work for you. If you are thinking of buying a prefab coop, be aware you can keep about half as many chickens as they say you can, and you will need a larger run. You can free range them in your yard, but that comes with risks. Good luck with your plans, that sounds great, but sure can be a lot of work. Keep us posted.

4. ChikAnne

ChikAnne In the Brooder

Oct 18, 2019
    No chickens yet. I am going to build my own coop and hope to eventually keep about 10. I'm not happy with any prefab coops I have seen. I want to sit with my chickens.

5. Meg-in-MT

Meg-in-MT Crossing the Road

Jan 29, 2018
    SW Montana
    Hello! Welcome to BYC!! :frowGood luck on your homesteading adventures!

6. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Enabler

Hello, and welcome! Glad that you joined! Good luck with your plan and the flock!

7. Kiki

Kiki Previously Texas Kiki

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
  8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Good afternoon, Kari Anne, and welcome to BYC - good luck in establishing your homestead.

9. slordaz

slordaz hatchaholic

Apr 15, 2015
    Idaho
    hello Kari Anne, Welcome to the BYC flock, best thing to do is you already have a number of how many you want, can you have a rooster so your flock is replenishes itself as needed, or do you even want that to be an option. Build bigger than what you plan on needing in case you do decide to expand. I prefer personally in between getting set up with a coop and run for them and actually getting them assembling a chicken first aid kit together as that isn't breed specific, then research depending on what you want from your flock and your climate to choose the best chickens for you and your climate.

10. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Hello, Karri Anne, and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
    Good luck with your homesteading B&B. Sounds like it will be a great place when you are all set up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: