Looking for chicken-sized "hay ball"

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by frankenchick, Dec 15, 2009.

1. frankenchick

frankenchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    Benton Twp., Michigan
    Well, it was hard to know what to put in the subject line. [​IMG]

I'm looking for something that I saw in a magazine photo. It looked like the wire hay ball we have for our rabbit, but it was chicken-sized and had a catch so it could be opened. In the photo, there was a head of cabbage inside the wire ball, and the chickens were happily pecking it.

I used to rig up something with a wire clothes hanger and a cabbage, but this looked more secure. We have to leave the girls inside the coop over the Christmas weekend, and I'd like for them to have something to do besides pull each others' feathers.

I do hide scratch in the litter, but it doesn't take them long to find it.

2. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

what about using one of those baskets that suet gets put in for wild birds? You would have to cut the cabbage in pieces but it might work [​IMG]

3. Country Heart

Country Heart City Girl With A

I think the term you are looking for is suet cage or suet feeder. If you google either of these terms you should might be able to find something that will work for you. [​IMG]

4. frankenchick

Apr 20, 2007
    Benton Twp., Michigan
    I did look at suet feeders, but didn't find anything quite like what I saw in the photo.

It was fairly heavy-gauge metal; maybe it was a horse item. I'll check that out.

5. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    i saw one at eggcartons.com under new supplies.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
  6. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    You can make your own with welded wire, cut large circle and wrap the cabbage in, sew closed with wire. then hang at desired level from wire or chain.

7. Country Heart

Country Heart City Girl With A

8. frankenchick

Apr 20, 2007
    Benton Twp., Michigan
    Finally! I found the issue of Backyard Poultry that had the photo. It is a "treat ball" for chickens. I found that Stromberg's, EggCartons.com, Meyer Hatchery, and Randall Burkey have them. MH is closest to us, so I ordered from them.

Of course, at any of the places (the ones that had them in stock), the cost of shipping triples the final cost of the item.

Treat ball: $4.99; shipping: $8.82 [​IMG]

Oh, well . . . not coming home to bald chickens: priceless.

Thanks for all the ideas.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by