Looking for chicken Tractor ideas share your pics

justoldbobo2

Songster
6 Years
Jun 10, 2013
Jena , Louisiana
I'm thinking about building a chicken tractor I can put chicks in when they are too big for brooder yet to small to be put in with the flock. Had a few killed last year by older chickens that broke my heart.
I also want to use it for breeding certain chichens at other times too.

That is exactly why I built mine
I raised 28 chicks in it until theyt could go in the hen house and it now houses my spare roosters for the winter.
I started with a redundant 2m x 4m Poly tunnel frame and improvised till I ended up with this, the raised coop part is 2X x 1.5M with 50mm square mesh floor.

We use our chicken tractor for the meaties we get twice a year. Here is pictures of it just as we finished it and our layers were checking it out. Being for the meaties, no need to have high roost's as they wouldn't be able to get up to it once they fatten up. We put pool noodles over the sharp edges of the metal roof and extended the mesh 1 foot or so beyond the edges to discourage predator from digging. After we move it, we pin the mesh down with tent pegs....but after a while we stopped that as we haven\t had any issue's with predators even though we live in the bush up north.

you can't see it so well in this pic but at the front of the tractor, you can see the top section has a wooden lid on hinges with a handle that opens so we can hang a feeder and waterer from hooks that are attached to the first cross brace/beam. As you can see the back opens as well for easy clean.

Last edited:
I like this for cheap and easy. You can box in one end for a small coop also.

Back
Top Bottom