Looking for chicken tractor ideas

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by a123andpoof, Mar 29, 2012.

1. a123andpoof

a123andpoof Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Okay so we just built a tractor for my silkies, and will be doing another design for our rooster, and then I want to do one for some future chicks. I still have a few months but am working to find a design I like that will work for 1-3 hens. I want something movable as I do not plan to let them actually free range. I also need something predator proof. Instructions or videos for the coop would also be nice. I am going to try and do this myself as all I ever do is just hold tools, or maybe put a screw in. I want something simple, but that looks nice.

What I am looking for:
    1. Something hen and rooster friendly
    2. Predator proof
    3. Holds 1-3 hens ( will depend on what hatches. If only 1 hen then I may or may not give her a friend will have to see what happens. If more then 3 hatches only 2 will go in)
    4. Something fairly light so I can move it easily
    5. Under $200
    6. Something that is pleasing to the eyes.
    7. A coop with enough space that they will not need to free range a ton. I will let them out on nice days and when my other hens aren't out. which is why I want it movable so they have fresh grass all the time.
    8. Warm in winter. Live in Minnesota and it can get cold and occasionally below zero, but also need something that will be kinda cool in 90 degree summers.

I have a few months as none of the chicks are bought or going to be bought. I am trying to hatch them so if my first hatch works or not I will not know and if it does I will still have appox 2-3 months if not I will have longer. Just want to get ideas and know a general cost so I can start saving. I am 18 and have a part time job that pays bad and some of my money has to go for college. These will be MY hens and I plan to try and cover most of their expenses. I have big plans for these future chickens and want a nice home for them.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Remember these guys -can- live to be 10 years old, who's taking care of them when you are away?

Will you be able to move somewhere chicken friendly in or after college?

There are lots of pretty DIY recycled coops or coops that are made from paysets or dog houses.

3. a123andpoof

Mar 17, 2011
    To answer your questions I will be living at home for a few more years. We are moving to place with more acreage and a place with a dog kennel that I plan on taking over. And if I ever do move it won't be till I have enough money to move to a place with acreage so I can have chickens. I am so in love with them I can't imagine not having chickens. And if their is ever at times I can't care for them my mom helps out. But I care for all the other chickens, so adding more is not an issue for me.

Really? Could you tell me where I can find the designs and ideas? Now that garage sale season is coming up I bet I could find one cheap.

4. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

5. a123andpoof

Mar 17, 2011
    Thanks. I looked up the one using the kids play house, my worry is it would get to cold in the winter and not be predator proof enough. Thanks for the links. I have been doing tons of searches. Anyone who has tractors please feel free to post as may give me ideas to! And I just love seeing other peoples coops!

6. Jaxon4141

Jaxon4141 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2012
    Nebraska
  7. GardenGal

GardenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    We're almost done building a tractor/coop that will hold 4 hens very comfortably. We built the run with 2x2s and 1x2s. It's 4' x 12' by 3' high, and the coop is 4' square built out of 3/8" plywood. We've spent $150, and that's including fencing! Soonest I can take pictures is Sunday. If you're interested I'll be happy to post pictures. Good luck - do lots of research :)

8. Cotton42

Cotton42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2012
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Please post pics when you get the chance, I would love to see them! Thanks.

9. a123andpoof

Mar 17, 2011
    Thanks both of you! I would love to see pics! The wiring is the one thing I don't think I will have to buy cause we have some left over for the other coops. Keep posting more ideas please!

10. GardenGal

GardenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    I'm hoping to finish the tractor today. I'll definitely take pictures :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by