Looking for chicks near Kingston, Ontario

CorinnaG

Hatching
7 Years
Apr 16, 2012
Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Hi there,

This website is the best!!! My family and I just moved to more space in the country (just outside of Kingston) and are looking to raise a few layers. I have been busy converting a shed to a coop and it is quickly turning into quite the spa!!! I am all set to take home some day olds but I have no chicks!!! I know I can order them from the local feed store, but I would love a smaller hatchery or just to buy some from another backyard farmer like myself. We have to stay under 10 chickens, but aren't too picky about breed. I love the more decorative birds like Silkies and Cochins but I am open to suggestions. Does anyone near me have any chicks hatching soon??

Thanks!
Corinna

Hi, I just picked up more than 60 chicks from Performance Poultry, which is in Carrying Place between Brighton and Belleville. Probably around 90 minutes from you. Check out their website -- they have lots of great varieties of chicks. Ours are all healthy & vigorous.

The only problem is they are very popular and sell out quickly. They started taking orders in March and may not have much of a selection left.

I don't know much about the fancy breeds. We chose our breeds based on winter hardiness and egg laying abilities. Combs & wattles can freeze in winter so you will have to keep them inside or sheltered from the elements. Our hens continued to lay well all winter long -- I think it must be because they had a huge window that let in lots of light.

We ordered our first batch of birds last year from a feed store -- they were hatchery chicks -- Red Sex Link -- and while they have been very heatlhy and excellent laying hens, I wouldn't get them again. They were all debeaked, which I think is cruel. Some of them look absolutely mutilated and have trouble closing their beaks and pecking at food. That hampers their ability to forage on pasture. They can't eat fruits & vegetales unless I mash or grate them. They have a real disadvantage compared to non-debeaked birds. The hatchery I got the chicks from also vaccinates all their birds automatically. You will have to decide if you want your chickens vaccinated or not. I don't know what your feed store has available but the hatchery ours bought from only carried the basic factory-type breeds and a few others.

Anyway, good luck! You will really enjoy watching your flock grow, whatever type of chickens you decide to get. And you'll never be able to eat store-bought eggs again...

Hi there,

This website is the best!!! My family and I just moved to more space in the country (just outside of Kingston) and are looking to raise a few layers. I have been busy converting a shed to a coop and it is quickly turning into quite the spa!!! I am all set to take home some day olds but I have no chicks!!! I know I can order them from the local feed store, but I would love a smaller hatchery or just to buy some from another backyard farmer like myself. We have to stay under 10 chickens, but aren't too picky about breed. I love the more decorative birds like Silkies and Cochins but I am open to suggestions. Does anyone near me have any chicks hatching soon??

Thanks!
Corinna
Hi there,

Thanks!
Corinna

Hi I am from the area and have Americana hens with nice blue eggs, the rooster is a easter egger. All very docile and wonderful birds. I have chicks that are about 1 month old. They are unsexed. I will be having some more chicks in April which might be a better time as it will be warmer.

Back
Top Bottom