Looking for Christmas Menu Suggestions

65browneyes

Songster
12 Years
Mar 2, 2007
Arizona
ALL of my 45 Christmas menus have included turkey, ham, sweet potatoes, etc, etc. A rerun of the traditional Thanksgiving menu. And, we've never given it a second thought before, because we all LOVE leftovers. Some of the leftovers are even better the second time around.

However........this year, I was granted the opportunity to have what I've come to affectionately call, "Africanized Killer Stomach Flu" the day after Thanksgiving. This thing hit me hard and fast, put me to bed for 4 days (I think DH was fixin' to call the mortuary). Thankfully, the fridge was FULL of food for the family to eat while I was trying to survive. To say the least, I think they are all SICK of ham and turkey. I enjoyed essentially NO leftovers by the time my gut was no longer seeking absolute revenge for every bit of anything I'd put in my mouth in my life...

AND, this is our first year without either of DH's parents (dad passed in '07, and we lost mom in February). This was our very first ever Thanksgiving without our parents, and Christmas will be the same. And so...........we've decided to shake it up a bit and do a Prime Rib for Christmas.

My issue is coming up with side dishes to serve with it. Homemade rolls are a MUST, but beyond that, I'm clueless. Thought about roasted new potatoes, baked potatoes, shredded potatoe casserole, or or or or. I'm not an eleborate cook, don't do any of the fancy shmancy things like cooking sherry, or red wine or stuff like that. But, I can mash potatoes or mix up baking powder biscuits with the best of 'em (with a recipe as a guideline, of course).

I'd love to hear your ideas/suggestions for side dishes, desserts, etc to serve with the Prime Rib.

Nothing goes better with Prime Rib than Yorkshire pudding (popovers) and of course you'll need horseradish.

Imp- hungrily

I'd do Yorkshire pudding like my mother made. She was born in Yorkshire county, England. I've made lots of popovers but still like the real thing best.

After the roast comes out, put about 3 or 4 Tbsp of the fat off the roast in a 13x9 pan and crank the oven up to 450. Mix 1 C, flour, 1 C milk whole or whatever, but fresh), 1 egg, and 1 tsp salt up, and pour into pan when the grease is hot. Bake til it looks brown and yummy, about 20-30 minutes. Equally good with gravy or by itself; I prefer it plain.

I'd fix this and one or two veggies like green beans and corn or beets.

I like my rib roast cooked quite rare so will beg a little suet (beef fat) off the butcher and render it down beforehand -- just heat it in a small saucepan over low heat til it melts, then use this for the pudding. You could do a trial run with any animal fat like lard or bacon grease beforehand. It tastes best with beef fat, though. Not real interesting with veggie oil but it does work.

I say lobster or crab legs go good with it...
big_smile.png

Why not do baked tators? You can do them up early, wrap in foil and then have a 'bar' of toppings.

Not a huge amount of work for you, and goes quite well with beef.

You can even have some broc and cheese soup... SO good... or chili... seen that too... depends on your tastes.

Now I'm really hungry. All the suggestions sound good.

And tonight I was planning on celery for dinner

Imp

Hmmmm.......horseradish, yes, definitely.

Yorkshire Pudding?? Interesting. Sounds more like a bready or biscuity menu item. Is the word "pudding" misleading here? This is a side dish, not a dessert item, correct?

Sorry, don't mean to be ignorant, but this is new to me. I was raised in a small town in Nebraska, transplanted to Arizona, and any food item that was different than meat and taters was unheard of at any of our tables.

Back
Top Bottom