Looking for clarification on leg mites

JacksonChickies

Songster
May 9, 2021
Central British Columbia, Canada
So, I have had chickens for a year now and am trying my very best to give then the best care. I have noticed on my girls that the scales are their legs appear to be getting "looser" and I am under the impression that it can be a sign of leg mites. Do these photos look concerning??

20220424_162910.jpg
20220424_162411.jpg

So, I have had chickens for a year now and am trying my very best to give then the best care. I have noticed on my girls that the scales are their legs appear to be getting "looser" and I am under the impression that it can be a sign of leg mites. Do these photos look concerning??

View attachment 3084109View attachment 3084111

Can't clarify but i was taught to check for mites around the vent even though they may not harbor there but that's the most likely place for them obtaining moisture .
They don't look super concerning, but if you're worried, take a flashlight when it's dark and look at their legs. If there are mites, you'll see them.
Looks like aged, beat up typical scales. If you wish, you can rub a bit of vaseline up and into the legs/scales, to help with the dryness and smooth the a bit. There's nothing that says you Can't apply oils or ointment to birds legs even if they don't have SLM.

Scaly Leg Mites are microscopic and cannot been seen with the naked eye or with a flashlight. They live under the scales of the legs and feet.

Mites that live in the coop and feed on poultry at night, but can been seen are usually Northern Fowl Mites or Red Mites. Those can be seen with a flashlight and congregate around the vent.

Here's a very good article with info and photos, so you may you know what you are looking at. https://the-chicken-chick.com/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification/

Looks like aged, beat up typical scales. If you wish, you can rub a bit of vaseline up and into the legs/scales.

Scaly Leg Mites are microscopic and cannot been seen with the naked eye or with a flashlight. They live under the scales of the legs and feet.

Mites that live in the coop and feed on poultry at night, but can been seen are usually Northern Fowl Mites or Red Mites. Those can be seen with a flashlight and congregate around the vent.

Here's a very good article with info and photos, so you may you know what you are looking at. https://the-chicken-chick.com/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification/
Oh, ok!

Actually this is a great time my silkie rooster has lice. This is his first time with lice and has had mites once before a couple months ago. If you don't see any but your still worried give them a warm dawn dish soap bath. Kills whatever bugs might be on them and completely safe for chickens. Search up how to give them a bath and you'll do great.

Back
Top Bottom