Looking for Coconut Cookie (or candy) recipe similar to a Mounds Bar

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Dipsy Doodle Doo, Jul 4, 2011.

1. Hi! I'm looking for Coconut Cookie (or candy) recipe similar to inside a Mounds Bar and crunchy on the outside (no chocolate).
    I've never eaten or made Macaroons, but could this recipe get me those results? (minus the cinnamon)
    Coconut Macaroons German Style
    Ingredients
    2 3/4 cups flaked coconut, toasted
    4 egg whites
    1 cup white sugar
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon almond extract
    Directions:
    1.Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F (120 degrees C). Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
    2.In a large bowl, whip egg whites with an electric mixer until stiff enough to make a mark through with a knife. Gradually sprinkle in the sugar, cinnamon and almond extract while continuing to mix on low speed. Fold in toasted coconut by hand. Spoon or scoop onto the prepared cookie sheets.
    3.Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven, until cookies are dry and peel of the paper easily. Cool on wire racks and store in an airtight container at room temperature.

My flaked coconut is sweetened, would I still need a full cup of sugar?

I saw lots of macaroon recipes with sweetened condensed milk, but I don't have that on hand.

Does anyone have a recipe that might be closer? Sweet coconutty goodness and crunchy outside?
    thanks!
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

2. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
  3. Hi Terrie! Thanks for the links --- some tasty looking sweets there.

I was looking more for a recipe I could make here with the ingredients I had on hand.
    I made the recipe above but omitted the cinammon and sugar and swapped the almond extract for vanilla extract.
    BUT, I added 1/2 cup cream of coconut and 2 tbs coconut oil. They were fabulously coconutty, crunchy outside and gooey inside.
    They satisfied my coconut craving anyway.
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

4. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Quote:Haha, sorry, I saw "Mounds Bar" and got carried away. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by