1. There is currently a quarantine in place in the area surrounding and containing the Southern California counties of Los Angeles County and Riverside County for Virulent Newcastle Disease. The quarantine strictly restricts movements of poultry, eggs, supplies and other items that can spread vND. Please do not list items for sale originating from either county without written permission from the CDFA. Please see here for more details

Looking for Companion Hen (preferrably Buff) for my Lonely Buff Hen in South Wales, NY

Discussion in 'Animals In Need of Free Re-Homing' started by FHF ChickenMom, Jun 20, 2019.

1. FHF ChickenMom

FHF ChickenMom Chirping

Jul 24, 2017
    South Wales, NY
    Hi All, a few days ago I was looking to rehome my little Buff hen, but I couldn't stop crying. Now I am looking for a companion for her. I Am willing to drive or ship.

2. GinaShay

GinaShay Chirping

Apr 27, 2019
    Worthington, Massachusetts
    Hi I'm in Worthington, Massachusetts it's about 30 min from NY border sounds like you would be a good chicken mommy I have 1 buff hen her name is buffy she is 8 months old. $20 for pick up. I've never listed her shes a great girl in a small flock FB_IMG_1559008060656.jpg

3. FHF ChickenMom

FHF ChickenMom Chirping

Jul 24, 2017
    South Wales, NY
    She's lovely! Yes, I consider myself a very good Chicken Mom. I even proudly wear my "Mother of Chickens" t-shirt. We have a very nice chicken compound. It's 400 square foot (for three chickens) compound, double fenced all around and over the top. They have a tarp over top to keep them dry and outdoor fencing so they have the run of the entire yard within the safety of the fence. I don't leave them out at night and they have indoor hutches inside the barn for the winter. They're pretty spoiled actually. Is Buffy all alone or part of a flock? and are you willing to ship her?

4. FHF ChickenMom

FHF ChickenMom Chirping

Jul 24, 2017
    South Wales, NY
    Oh never mind. I see she's part of a small flock. Ok.

5. GinaShay

GinaShay Chirping

Apr 27, 2019
    Yes she is currently part of a flock of 8 I also have a light cochin hen same age same size. Both are super sweet girls. 2 more hens that are just 6 weeks a black sex link and black Jersey giant. Ive had the buff Orpington and light cochin since they were just 2 or 3 days old. And the 2 young ones since 1 week old. So sorry I dont ship mainly because I know nothing about shipping live animals. Sounds like you have a great set up though!

6. FHF ChickenMom

FHF ChickenMom Chirping

Jul 24, 2017
    South Wales, NY
    Oh I don't blame you for not shipping. I don't like the idea either. I'll talk with hubby about road trip.

GinaShay likes this.
  7. GinaShay

GinaShay Chirping

Apr 27, 2019
    PhotoGrid_1561127488517.jpg my chickies have a Facebook page if you have Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/423031634940835/

Ms. Alberta Ross is my Light Cochin she stands a bit taller than Buffy but is lighter weight than Buffy. Her eggs are Pink & usually around 52g and Buffy lays Brown and usually 54g. They both started to lay when they were 6 months.

8. KSH1

KSH1 Songster

May 1, 2014
    northeast Ohio
    If it doesn't work out with Gina, I have one I'm considering rehoming, but I was hoping not to make a final decision on her just yet. I'm going to add the 1yo hens to the adolescent hooligans next week, and I'm not sure if she'll be overwhelmed. She's timid and going from a flock of 4 to a flock of 50 might be too much for her. Or, since she's bigger than the hooligans, maybe she'll be the queen and gain confidence.

9. GinaShay

GinaShay Chirping

Apr 27, 2019
    My local friend was looking for a broody and now buffy is a broody little momma. Wanted to let you know. I'm sure your hen will be okay soon. I've put teenagers in with a hen who was getting picked on by my bigger flock and she loved it. You could always separate her with the ones who are getting picked on and rejoin them later that way they will have buddies if you think shes too stressed.

10. KSH1

KSH1 Songster

May 1, 2014
    northeast Ohio
    My 4 buff Orpingtons are newer to me so they're finishing up quarantine, and I gave them a "canary" yesterday - a cream legbar cockerel. With a new guy in the pen, all of a sudden my wimpy hen had a bodyguard as one of the others maneuvered the legbar like a skilled herding dog lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: