Looking for CSA Info for Next Year

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by anthonyjames, Nov 9, 2011.

1. anthonyjames

anthonyjames Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Port Washington, WI
    So I am looking to partner with a vegetable farm that has a CSA. They asked if I would be interested in doing a poultry CSA. Time is 20 weeks.

I run broilers, rabbits and turkeys.

Broilers run between 4.5 - 5.5 lbs normally sell for $4 lb whole, $4.30 cut into quarters. They may get all whole, 1/2 and 1/2 or all quarters depending on how we do them up.
    Turkeys would run between 13 - 21 lbs. I would try to keep everyone in the CSA around 15 lbs.

I was thinking of providing monthly or bi-weekly. Monthly would be $450 and bi-weekly would be $275

Monthly would include 20 - 24 chickens and a Thanksgiving Turkey
    bi-weekly would include 10 - 12 chickens and a Thanksgiving Turkey

Rabbits I would substitue if people were interested or they could purchase separately.

For those of you out there that run a CSA does that sound like a good deal?

2. bigshawn

bigshawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    If you don't mind me asking, what does CSA mine...........

3. BairleaFarm

BairleaFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    Community supported agriculture.

4. bigshawn

bigshawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Thank you....

5. jcatblum

jcatblum Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    Cement, OK
    First question is how long has the farm been doing the CSA & how many customers do they have returning for next yr.

We purchased a CSA share this yr & as a customer it was a nightmare!!!!! Had 6 other friends buy in to the CSA & it was so bad most stopped even attempting to get their produce they paid for. The farmers could not keep drops on time bad produce, bad comunication... anything that could go wrong did.

If this farm is not a well extablished CSA then stay away. They could drag your name down with their CSA.
    If they have been doing the CSA for multiple yrs & have a long list of returning clients then it is a great thing. If they don't have returning clients, then somehting isn't right. Knowing you have sold x amount & it is paid for in advance is great. Just make sure you can hold up to your end of the deal.

6. anthonyjames

anthonyjames Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Port Washington, WI
    Farm has been around since 1982 and last 10 years has had CSA and "is not-for-profit educational organization offering programs that reflect its commitment to living in harmony with self, others and the earth. Wellspring’s mission as an education and retreat center is to inspire and teach people to grow, prepare and eat healthy food. In so doing, we transform food systems and build community. Programs in wellness education, ecology and gardening, the arts and personal growth have been offered to the public since 1982."

I know who their egg CSA farmer is because I purchase raw milk from him. And I know he would not get on board with a place that is not respected.

But, that being said your statements and questions don't relate to mine which is the cost I am asking a fair amount?

Thanks

7. Kobey

Kobey Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2011
    I have spent a lot of time going though the CSA's around me.

There are 2 things to keep in mind when it comes to price from what I've learned.

First and foremost are your profit margins, because it's a business and arguably a competitive one even if you get to charge premiums due to the way your produce is raised. Having said that, it comes down to your own business model and what you feel is acceptable. If you are making money (not just covering costs...and all costs including time, labor and insurance / growth) then that should be what dictates your price…not what your neighbor is charging.

Secondly CSA’s require a different mindset compared to capitalism run businesses. The point of them is the underlying “honest” aspect of the entire enterprise. Honest food, honest work, honest value. Where CSA’s fall apart in my experience is when they over-indulge and push boundaries. 50 people paying 25-50% upfront sounds great until nature wipes out your work, but people do understand that is part of the risk involved in CSA’s. They will not be happy but can accept it. Worse is when you fully realize you cannot supply enough because you wanted the bigger membership. That people do not so easily accept.

So to specifically comment on your pricing if you feel it covers all your costs and fits in with their existing CSA model then that’s your answer.

But do set your limits and stick to them…better to have a few too many birds or hand out "extras" then leave people short…makes them happy and you can expand later instead of saying sorry and trying to make it up.

Least that is how I look at things.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  8. GardenState38

GardenState38 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Quote:this is exactly why I'm wondering if I should renew my CSA share for next year...
    $550 for one plastic bag of produce each week for 26 weeks (during an excellent year, mind you!), crowds of inconsiderate shareholders and insufficient parking for the crowds on pick-up days...

9. Kobey

Kobey Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2011
    Quote:this is exactly why I'm wondering if I should renew my CSA share for next year...
    $550 for one plastic bag of produce each week for 26 weeks (during an excellent year, mind you!), crowds of inconsiderate shareholders and insufficient parking for the crowds on pick-up days...

I'd say do both youself and them a favour and find a different CSA. They will have fewer members which means more to go around, and you can look for something that better suits your needs.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  10. EggsForIHOP

EggsForIHOP Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    TEXAS
    I was thinking of providing monthly or bi-weekly. Monthly would be $450 and bi-weekly would be $275

Monthly would include 20 - 24 chickens and a Thanksgiving Turkey
    bi-weekly would include 10 - 12 chickens and a Thanksgiving Turkey

My 2 cents - just my 2 cents - that's a LOT of chicken...even for a big family...that's at minimum 5 chickens a week...and that's a hefty chunk of change up front too....

Maybe do half that? I asked not too long ago amongst my little group, if I raised and processed the chickens you always want, how MANY would you want - the family sizes ranged from 4 people to 8 people, and no one wants more than 4 a week - and one of them has 4 teenaged boys and still only wants 4 chickens a week! But most of them just wanted 2 - MAYBE 3 - and they know I don't plan to raise them during the summer, and would have to have some set aside in the freezer for that time if they wanted them...

I know you want to make it worth it for you...and it's only for 20 weeks...but that is still quite a bit of meat, and a lot of people don't have that kind of freezer space either....

I'm just saying....I wasn't going to chime in on this one...cause I don't want to be "negative Nelly"...but have you considered offering half that? And maybe if someone wanted or needed the higher amount then they could buy 2 shares? It's just an honest thought...not trying to be a downer...but the sheer volume alone would prompt myself as a customer to look elsewhere...​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by