Looking for dark egg-layers (marans or welsumers)

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by crystalchik, Apr 14, 2008.

1. crystalchik

crystalchik Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2008
    Central Florida
    Hey everybody!
    I am looking for started chicks, or young or older pairs of dark egg-layers...basically anything but eggs! I was interested in either Marans or Welsumers of any variety (but a pure variety, not mixed). Below is a link to an Official Maran Egg Color Chart, if you are not sure what it is. I would prefer birds that lay (or chicks that come from) no less than egg color number 6. If you have any pairs, or chicks you would be willing to sell, or know anyone that would sell me some, please write me or email me at: [email protected]

If you can, please include a picture of the eggs that your birds lay or an estimate on how dark your eggs are, using the Maran Egg chart. Thank you all so much and have a good day!! God bless!!

Here is the link to the Official Maran Egg Chart:
    http://photobucket.com/mediadetail/...0.jpg&searchTerm=maran egg chart&pageOffset=0

Last edited: Apr 14, 2008
  2. tx_dane_mom

tx_dane_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2007
    SE Texas
    I just got some silver marans eggs from Ray Valentine...looking at that chart I'd say most of the eggs were in the 4-5 range. He is offering chicks for sale in all kinda of rare colors, but they aren't cheap. If you are interested, I can forward you the info. I don't know that some of his eggs might be darker...I didn't specifically ask for dark eggs.

3. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    Contact Mergmet ( Margaret ) she ships Marans chicks. I've seen both her Marans and eggs and they are very nice.

www.endlessfarm.net

4. crystalchik

Jan 15, 2008
    Central Florida
    Hello all!
    Thank you for your replies already!!

tx_dane_mom , how was it buying from him? I was told not to buy from him because he sometimes incubates his eggs and sells the ones that are not fertile. I don't know if this is true, but I did not want to take a chance. Do you know if yours are fertile yet? I almost bid on a dozen off of Eggbid.com, but I got concerned. (And I love your avatar by the way! It is so cute!)

AussieSharon , thank you for the info, I will check it out!!

Thanks again! God bless!
    Crystalchik

5. Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Vamp-A-Billy Princess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Indiana
    I have 2 birchen marans and 3 blue. I dont know what the procedure is to ship birds? I'm thinking about selling them. They dont get along with my Barreds and my RIRs. I think they are stuck up or something.

6. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    If you're looking for Welsummers contact Mothergoose ( Christie ) or Skeeter9 ( Lori ) both have excellent Wellies.

7. crystalchik

Jan 15, 2008
    Central Florida
    Thanks everybody, appreciate all the help!![​IMG]

Vamp-A-Billy Princess , how dark are their eggs? Where are you located? Could you tell me more about your little Maran flock?[​IMG]
    Thanks again!
    Crystalchik

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by