Looking for DE in Central Maine!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by superchemicalgirl, Aug 22, 2010.

1. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Anyone from Central Maine/Augusta area purchase food/feed grade DE locally?

2. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    iv looked everywhere too. im on the midcoast near rockland . nobody has it around here either. i wanted some to sprinkle in coop. ended up buying a couple bottles of poultry dust at my local feed store . treated for lice and mites.

3. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    What's the active ingredient in poultry dust? How are you using it (in the coop and/or on the bird?) How long are you throwing your eggs away after use?
    I just got some permethrin dusting powder and used it on the quarantined babies who have both worms and mites so I'm getting a bit paranoid about my big girls outside. I'd like to get some DE or in lieu of DE something fairly non-toxic.

I'm going to ask Knights Farm Supply in Augusta (on Rt 3, you probably pass it to get to the TSC swaps) if they can order it next time I go in for feed (only 50 lbs left, should be very soon) and I'll let you know if they can get it.

4. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    Quote:the stuff i got was prozap garden and poultry dust 2 lb bottle was $7.79 the biggest they had. it has permethrin in it. i asked other people and they said its safe to eat the eggs so i didnt throw any out its been a month and no problems . i sell my eggs too locals no complaints. i sprinkled the birds at night when they were roosting and also sprinkled it in there favorite dust holes in the run.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  5. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Your closest place might be:

# Sticks & Stones Farm
    Berkley, MA 02779
    508-822-5211
    [50 lb FSF]

Give them a call and ask about their shipping 50# to you.

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble Premium Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Sevin dust 5% kills lice/mites. I've used it for years in my vegetable gardens, dogs and chickens. Walmart carries it in a the large canister for $10.

7. scooterward

scooterward Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Lenoir City, TN
    I live in the greater Portland area and buy food grade DE from a local horse supply store. Blue Seal Feeds doesn't have food grade DE. Do you have a store that handles farms and/or horse needs?

I use the deep litter method and use food grade DE. So far, so good.

Good luck!

8. 1_FnkyFrm

1_FnkyFrm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Knoxville, Tn
    You can get it at some pet stores....

9. swordgeek

swordgeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    Westford, MA
    I got my DE at my local Agway (where I also buy feed and bedding). I know there are Agways in Maine - just don't know how close.

I don't know what size you're looking for. Mine isn't large - it's maybe a gallon-sized shaker bottle? I've barely made a dent in it, and I sprinkle some in their pine shavings and dust bathing area pretty often. In winter, I shake it right onto the birds in a little herb bottle.

10. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Ask your local feed store they should be able to order it for you. Mine did. Now I just buy it at the hatchery.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by