Looking for DE in Central Maine!

iv looked everywhere too. im on the midcoast near rockland . nobody has it around here either. i wanted some to sprinkle in coop. ended up buying a couple bottles of poultry dust at my local feed store . treated for lice and mites.

What's the active ingredient in poultry dust? How are you using it (in the coop and/or on the bird?) How long are you throwing your eggs away after use?
I just got some permethrin dusting powder and used it on the quarantined babies who have both worms and mites so I'm getting a bit paranoid about my big girls outside. I'd like to get some DE or in lieu of DE something fairly non-toxic.

I'm going to ask Knights Farm Supply in Augusta (on Rt 3, you probably pass it to get to the TSC swaps) if they can order it next time I go in for feed (only 50 lbs left, should be very soon) and I'll let you know if they can get it.

Quote:
the stuff i got was prozap garden and poultry dust 2 lb bottle was $7.79 the biggest they had. it has permethrin in it. i asked other people and they said its safe to eat the eggs so i didnt throw any out its been a month and no problems . i sell my eggs too locals no complaints. i sprinkled the birds at night when they were roosting and also sprinkled it in there favorite dust holes in the run.

Last edited:
I live in the greater Portland area and buy food grade DE from a local horse supply store. Blue Seal Feeds doesn't have food grade DE. Do you have a store that handles farms and/or horse needs?

I use the deep litter method and use food grade DE. So far, so good.

Good luck!

I got my DE at my local Agway (where I also buy feed and bedding). I know there are Agways in Maine - just don't know how close.

I don't know what size you're looking for. Mine isn't large - it's maybe a gallon-sized shaker bottle? I've barely made a dent in it, and I sprinkle some in their pine shavings and dust bathing area pretty often. In winter, I shake it right onto the birds in a little herb bottle.

Ask your local feed store they should be able to order it for you. Mine did. Now I just buy it at the hatchery.

Back
Top Bottom