Looking for detailed instructions for egg carton hatching

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CorralitosSunflower, May 20, 2010.

1. CorralitosSunflower

CorralitosSunflower Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2009
    Corralitos
    So I have read a number of posts concerning egg carton hatching and peoples opinion on the method but cannot seem to find out what the actual method is. Can anyone help me out? I just got some shipped BCM eggs and would like to try it out since I have heard it is good for shipped eggs with detached air cells. Some of the things I would like to know,
    1. Do you change incubation temp or humidity since the eggs are in a carton and thus it has different surface exposure to the incubators enviroment?
    2. What type of carton do you use? I have read cardboard?
    3. Do you or do you not trim cartons or put holes in them?
    4. Do you start them in the carton from day 1 or put them into it later?
    5. For turning, since I do not have an automatic turned how high do I need to put each side of the carton up in order to shift the eggs the proper amount?
    6. More personal thoughts on the subject and any other useful advice you might have?

THANKS BYC!

2. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Everyone does it a bit differently. The first time, I was very precise about everything. The second time I was much more relaxed. It worked great both ways and I've been relaxed about it ever since.

Specifically:
    1. Nope. Everything stays the same. I've found that I can even let the cartons get wet (which helps keep humidity up) and they still hatch great.
    2. I use cardboard. Have heard of folks using styrofoam. Have never heard of using plastic, but who knows?
    3. Don't trim. Did the first time, haven't bothered since.
    4. I put them in the turner until lockdown, and then switch them.
    5. Without an auto turner, I would put it at a 45 degree angle each time--and in your case, I would in fact leave them in the cartons throughout.
    6. I LOVE carton hatching. When the eggs lie on the floor, newly hatched birds have a tendency to push the other eggs around and can cause them damage. I have had much higher hatch rates with carton hatching. It's also less messy because more of the "gunk" stays in the bottom of the egg shell instead of spreading all over. Finally, it takes the babies much longer to pop the top off and get out of the shell (be prepared for this) after zipping, but this turns out to be a good thing because when they do get out, they have had much more exercise first and are much more coordinated and don't go zooming all over the incubator running into everything in sight and putting themselves in danger.

Good luck!

3. CorralitosSunflower

CorralitosSunflower Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2009
    Corralitos
    Thanks, very informative! I am setting up my incubator tonight and letting the eggs set. Do you prefer untrimmed cartons or just don't use them because it is unnecesary work? I have one trimmed and one not already in preparation.....

4. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    It's just extra work and I'm lazy, lol!

Your thread got me thinking, though--the current hatch I'm in the middle of is running a little late... and it's the first hatch in which I've let the cartons be thoroughly damp the whole time... and it occurs to me that damp cartons would lower the temp around the eggs due to the evaporation effect. Which could lead to a later hatch...

So now I'm thinking I may switch to styrofoam, but the problem with styrofoam is that if you accidentally get water into a cup with an egg in it, you can't get the water out again without opening the bator. So now I'm thinking I'll use styrofoam, but cut the bottoms out so water doesn't get trapped.

I keep adjusting my system. Some day I'll get regular 95% hatches. Maybe I'll even stop worrying and fretting through the whole process! [​IMG]

5. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    1. Do you change incubation temp or humidity since the eggs are in a carton and thus it has different surface exposure to the incubators enviroment?

No temperature changes. I only do the cartons for the last three days so I do increase the humidity.

2. What type of carton do you use? I have read cardboard?

I use styrofoam because I can sanitize them. I may do cardboard this next time because I've got them coming out of my ears at the moment. It'll depend on how well I can sanitize them.

3. Do you or do you not trim cartons or put holes in them?

I did cut the bottoms out of each cup cell. Not sure that was really necessary or not, but in the interests of best possible air flow I cut the bottoms out.

4. Do you start them in the carton from day 1 or put them into it later?

No. Just for the last three days. The eggs are in egg racks before that.

5. For turning, since I do not have an automatic turned how high do I need to put each side of the carton up in order to shift the eggs the proper amount?

My auto-turner takes them to about 45 degrees either way. The others I've seen do about the same.

6. More personal thoughts on the subject and any other useful advice you might have?

When I put the cartons in the hatching trays I set them around the outside of the tray so as to keep as much of the middle of the tray open for the chicks to fall into and walk about. This cuts down on how much they climb all over the other eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by