Looking for diagram of chicken anatomy - for syringing purposes

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenlady, Sep 12, 2008.

1. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    Want to make sure I am putting the water from the syringe in the right spot. If it went into lungs, would she choke and cough immediately? I was hoping someone had a diagram of a chicken showing the opening to the lungs and the opening to the crop.

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    The trachea should be the opening that you can see clearly when you look into her mouth, so if you bypass that and can still see it you should be in the esophagus. Technically...

3. chickenlady

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    Biggest problem is that she wont let me look in there. She is fighting me alot. Once I get her mouth open, I am just sticking the syringe in quickly as far as I can and squeezing it in. Just worried I am getting in her lungs.

4. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Yeah, that would kind of scare me. Birds in general are easier to intubate (tube in the trachea) than to get a tube in their esophagus. They won't cough right away like we do, b/c the fluid will go down into the bottom of the air sacs first. I wouldn't give her anymore if you can't see. Why are you tubing her to begin with?

5. chickenlady

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    Sour crop I believe. She had an impacted crop a week or two ago, I thought it was corrected but seems to have become impacted again. I have been giving her epsom salt/water mixture hoping to move whatever is in there. Her crop has softened up a bit but seems very mushy now. She has a bad smell to her breath. She doesnt seem to be interested in drinking today by herself and I'm worried about dehydration. Once she gets dehydrated, I might as well throw in the towel. I have also been giving fluids sub Q. All she wants to do is eat right now so I am going to give her some oatmeal with olive oil in it and hope this helps some.

6. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    here are some articles many with illustrations:
    http://dlhunicorn.conforums.com/index.cgi?board=emergencies&action=display&num=1175591788
    If the problem is sourcrop /crop stasis then consult the articles in the link below... filling a non-functional crop with more feed which is not going to move thru is not going to help the situation really... concentrate the nutrition instead by adding parrot handfeeding formula (get this at a pet store in the cage bird section) > mix it with feed and avoid any type of grains. If sourcrop you will need to go to the vet for nystatin.
    http://dlhunicorn.conforums.com/index.cgi?board=emergencies&action=display&num=1161893898

7. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    chickenlady, sorry to hear about your bird.

If she does indeed have sour crop, one thing the vet will likely do is evacuate the contents of the crop to clear out all the rotting old food. As dlhunicorn said, Nystatin (antifungal) will be the drug of choice.

If it is sour crop/crop stasis, it is best that all the nasty undigested food is removed as quickly as possible so it does not poison her. Do you have access to a vet?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2008
  8. chickenlady

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    Thanks all for your responses. I do not have access to a vet, however, I have a friend who owns an animal hospital and may be able to get the meds from him.

As of this morning, I do not smell anything on her breath anymore. Since yesterday I have been giving her the epsom salt/water mix and massaging. Her crop is finally starting to feel a little looser. Her poop is close to normal looking but just not as frequent as a normal chicken.

As far as an anti-fungal, I have used something in the past called OXY-E DROPS, made by NZYMES. It is a fantastic product as I have used if for dogs and my cockatiel with great results. Here is the website: www.nzymes.com. Anyone have any experience with this??

Oxy-e drops is an anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, anti-viral. Anyway, I have started using this and will see if it helps.

9. nzzzz38

nzzzz38 New Egg

Jan 26, 2009
    North-West, NJ
    I used to be a nurse before my multiple disabilities. I know when I used to put a naso-gastric tube in my patients you put the other end of the tube (the one that is not introduced internally into the chicken) in a glass of water and if you see bubbles then you are in the lungs. You might want to use some olive oil for the crop to lube so to speak and help it slip down.
    God Bless,
    Stephanie

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  10. Smilin Teri

Smilin Teri Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2014
    crop ? Where is the crop ? PLEASE and THANK YOU

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by