Looking for dog food

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Souperchicken, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Souperchicken

Souperchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    USA- Southwest
    I've been researching dog food tonight. Our 3 dogs have been on Hi-Standard brand dog food. I walk/run them 4 miles every day and they poop before we leave and poop during the walk(sometimes several times), they poop in the evening. This is too much poop!!
    I talked to my DH and he said that brand of food was recommended at a Sportman's show and he knows several breeders that use it. I looked at the ingredients tonight and found corn was the second ingredient!
    So after researching and comparing prices -affordability. I am leaning toward Nature's Recipe Lamb and Rice. Does anyone use this? Do you like it and does it seem to help cut down on the lawn ornaments? If not, is there an affordable dog food you would recommend? I can order from Petsmart or Petco.

2. TedJan92_in_Idaho

TedJan92_in_Idaho Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Cocolalla Idaho
    I feed mine raw chicken and beef scraps. It cuts down on the dog bomb and is healthier than any dog food. Chicken quarters here are 29 cents a pound most of the time and the meat processor down the road gives me all the beef bones and trimming I can use.

3. Souperchicken

Souperchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    USA- Southwest
    Do you feed anything else with that or just the chicken and beef? My DH actually mentioned raw meat tonight when we were talking about it.

Oops I see where you buy it...can you get it at a grocery store?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  4. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    buying at a grocery store can be expensive. Some small stores are willing to let you buy meat that is too old to sell at a discounted price (10-15cents a pound even). Check with local butchers and slaughter houses about picking up their scraps. Put an ad in the paper or on Craigslist for people who are cleaning out their freezers of old meat - pretty common at the start of hunting season! Also put an ad for scraps from the deer hunters; you would be surprised how much of a carcass gets discarded because of contact with the skin or there is hair on it. Some hunters just cut off the entire outer portion of the meat!

You need to find the right amounts to feed her - so much muscle, so much bone and so much organ. Rabbit is also an excellent raw food for dogs. You want to try to have some variety, as much as possible. Not a different protein every single day, but not 5 months straight of only chicken either.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by