Looking for duck-friends in MA (Boston) area

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sam52254, Feb 18, 2015.

1. sam52254

sam52254 New Egg

Sep 15, 2014
    This summer our son (budding scientist:), has picked up an egg and hatched it.
    Now we are living with a male duck who is pretty much running the house:)))
    He is about 6 months old, buff, drake, very handsome and sweet.
    He lives in the house and wears diapers.
    However, he needs duck friends and we need a break now and then to be able to leave him for few days to a week in trusted hands.
    So far we have been unable to find anyone in the area.
    Would appreciate any help/suggestions in the matter.
    [​IMG]

2. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Not nearby, but just saying that's a really especially blessed duck! And he must be superbonded to your household. Be sure to leave a computer disk or call him with your pictures on a phone to assure him that you are coming home. Some thing audible and visible that he can hear/see....I'm very serious about that. It would probably reduce his separation anxiety. Maybe you can make a video and leave it via an e mail with the caregiver so he can talk and interact with you. (Some folks just say I over identify with our farm animals, I just say I understand them a lot because "words" don't get in the way) Thanks for sharing that super picture!

3. sam52254

sam52254 New Egg

Sep 15, 2014
    Thank you very much for your support.
    So far we have not traveled too far away from home and always have taken Utya with us in his lug-a-duck, a special bag made for transporting pet ducks :) (when we got Utya we were surprised to find out how many people keep ducks as pets!)
    He was very patient in the car on his 5 hour trip to NY! :)))
    However, we understand that he needs to be around other ducks and the sooner the better...

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Utya is a beautiful Buff drake! We have four Buffs that we adopted from Majestic Waterfowl. Perhaps you can contact them or Nevins Farm and let them know you are looking for duck company for him. He may need some help understanding that the new ducks are his - he may think they are his pet ducks, because he likely believes he is just a very short person.

At BYC there is a Free Rehoming forum - you could keep an eye on that as well.

Regarding caregiving, I have found word of mouth helps. There are a few people I can call on to care for my ducks if I have to go away, and that is rare, but I can sometimes get away for an overnight or two.

Here's Bean.

[​IMG]

5. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    [​IMG]

6. sam52254

sam52254 New Egg

Sep 15, 2014
    Thank you so much for you suggestion! I have contacted the recommended sites.
    Hopefully, they would be able to offer Utya "play dates" [​IMG] with some of their ducks.
    Bean is adorable!
    We also have 3 chickens.
    However, Utya does not get along with them. He is curious about them, but stays away usually.
    You must be right that he does not think of himself as a bird!!
    When I cook in the kitchen, he is at my feet, quacking. He wants me to narrate what I am doing.
    When I am on the couch with laptop, he is quacking to get on the couch next to me[​IMG], tries to peck at keys!
    Very funny!

7. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    I did not read too carefully, but if you are asking for more friends for your baby, try contacting the MSPCA at Nevens Farm in Methuen MA. Not very far from you. They have quite a few ducks there. Several ADORABLE drakes that might make good buddies for your duck. They are fantastic people, 15 of our 16 ducks have come from there at various times. Good luck!!

8. sam52254

sam52254 New Egg

Sep 15, 2014
    Thank you very much for everyone's help!
    We will try Nevins Farm. I got an e-mail of one of the ladies there, so we are hoping to get lucky![​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  9. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    Good luck. I have had nothing but great experiences with them. If you don't hear from them soon, call them. Good luck!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by