Looking for ducks

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by TrellasMom, Apr 14, 2017.

1. TrellasMom

TrellasMom Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2017
    Hi everyone i have just joined because I have a BIG question. I need a Muscovy duckling and I can't find them anywhere! If they can ship them that would be fine. I just need a ducking not a fully grown duck. Do you guys know anyone who has them??? If so please right back! Thank you!!!

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    :welcome!

I can suggest some places that have them, but none are going to ship you one muscovy, and they shouldn't, because ducklings need each other's warmth to survive shipping. That and you should never ever have just one duckling or duck. Two is the bare minimum, and three or four is better in case something happens to one or two of them.

1 person likes this.
  3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, TrellasMom, and :welcome! Pleased you joined our community! I concur with the advice of Pyxis - not sure where you would get a single duckling - unless it's locally. You can inquire in your state thread in this link: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread
    Best wishes and I hope you find what you're looking for! :)

4. TrellasMom

Apr 14, 2017
    Well I only need one. Is there anywhere that you know of that only sells one?

5. TrellasMom

Apr 14, 2017
    Thank you! I will look in to it and check it out. I might have to get 2 lol.

6. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop

Why? Do you have other ducks you plan to add this one to? If so you still want at least two. A lonely duckling is no fun to raise and they need companionship while growing up and especially when being introduced to the flock.

No, I know of no places that are going to sell you one, for the reasons I listed.

7. TrellasMom

Apr 14, 2017
    We will have 3 chickens with the duck.

8. TrellasMom

Apr 14, 2017
    But we probably will have to get 2 ducklings.

9. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop

Good :) Chickens are not enough company for ducks, they do need at least one friend of their own species. In fact, if you can get three, get three. Just in case something happens to one.

10. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under TrellasMom [​IMG] Welcome!

As you have already received some good advice, I will just wish you all the best.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by