Looking for Easy Run Ideas

itsmaddiejohnson

Chirping
Sep 14, 2020
Central Florida
Hi everyone. My chickens are free-range however, a fox came and took away two of my silkies tonight. Therefore, I have decided to keep them in a run from now on to prevent any future predator attacks.

Does anyone have any recommendations or ideas for easy and large chicken runs? I have never built anything before but I'm willing to give it my all!

I just want to keep my babies protected and to not have to experience this incident again.

Thanks in advance!

Hi everyone. My chickens are free-range however, a fox came and took away two of my silkies tonight. Therefore, I have decided to keep them in a run from now on to prevent any future predator attacks.

Does anyone have any recommendations or ideas for easy and large chicken runs? I have never built anything before but I'm willing to give it my all!

I just want to keep my babies protected and to not have to experience this incident again.

Thanks in advance!
Im so sorry for your loss... I love my little Silkies. My heart breaks for you...
:hugs

Hoop coop! I just made one the other day for my goats, actually. Google it or search BYC.

it's supposed to be very effective against ground predators
They are. I have never had a ground predator attack inside my pen. I have all the local cast of characters passing by including fox, coyote, neighbors rotten dogs, bob cats, raccoons, fisher cats and even a momma black bear that has been seen on my property several times over the years, once right outside my bedroom window peering in.
I set my net up to be more permanent and jumpered three 164' nets together to enclose 1/3 acre. It took 2 days to set the posts/insulators, string the fence, drive and jumper the ground rods and build the enclosure for the charger. I already had electric run to where I was going to plug it in.
windows open.jpg

We use T-post, chicken wire, hardware cloth apron around the run. And covered with aviary netting.

Tried to figure out electric netting - too complicated with our set up, especially with snow in winter. The hardware cloth apron turned out to be easiest to keep the foxes out.

The problem with chicken wire is that dogs, coyotes, and raccoons can go right through it. :(

Back
Top Bottom