Looking for Encouragement. Hopeless (again) - day 17

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BayCityBabe, Oct 27, 2008.

1. BayCityBabe

BayCityBabe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Okay, for the record, I am not a "Debbie Downer" type person. HOWEVER, I pretty much cooked a batch of eggs that were due to hatch 10/15. This has caused me to question my skills...
    So, in the spirit of perseverence, I have 8 in the 'bator, due Halloween. I am candling with a 3 watt LED Mag-light. I can see that some of the eggs have dark masses that are growing. I do not see any swimming or thrashing about. Is this okay? Have any of you ended up with hatches in a similar situation?

2. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    You will not always see them moving, sometimes they rest. As long as you can see that the dark area is growing, then that should mean the chicks are growing.

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I have to agree at day 17 sometimes you won't see them moving around and they should be way beyond the swimming part! Keep the faith and have patience!

4. DulcyDoll

DulcyDoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I hope you get a good hatch. And there is nothing wrong with your skills, it just takes a few trial and error situations. I cooked my first 6 batches of eggs...But now i am getting pretty good hatches. Don't give up on them

Last edited: Oct 27, 2008
  5. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    Best of luck![​IMG]
    I think we all go through trial and error and I am sure you will do just fine.

6. Jamie821

Jamie821 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    Niota, Tennessee
    at day 17 all you are going to see is dark and a air sac. Sometimes you will see slight movement but at that lenghth of time they are filling the area in the egg with no room to move. They also sleep alot at this stage of incubation. If your egg is dark at the bottom it is a chick

7. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    Quote:The best way to get eggs to hatch in a 'bator is leave the 'bator closed. We candle at day 10-ish (if we remember) Take out the clears and see ya at day 18. Move to the hatching tray and don't open again until they hatch. Everytime you open the door the temp and the humidy drops. just my opinion. [​IMG]

Steve in NC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by