1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Looking for examples

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by tcobbs, Nov 28, 2016.

1. tcobbs

tcobbs Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2016
    My hubby ordered my Christmas present today. My CHICKEN COOP! 4-6 weeks. It's a Leelan building with attached carport shelter. If you have used something like this will you post photos of your set up? [​IMG]

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Very nice structure. You will still need to do a few modifications to make it good for chickens.
    1. Need for good ventilation that is draft proof.
    2. Need for windows to let in natural light.
    3. Extra people entry door to provide easy in and out instead of opening the larger door especially during cold. The large door is ideal for summer ventilation left wide open during heat.
    4. Small chicken pop door. You may consider an automatic one like Ador 1.
    5. Securing your run sidewalls with appropriate fencing/hardware cloth/cattle panels. Or whatever you had in mind.
    6. Build the inside with roosts, poop boards, nesting boxes, and feed and water areas. There are more things to add, but you will see what your needs are then. (dry feed storage, Dust bath areas, hiding places for the lower in the pecking order, Etc.)
    WISHING YOU BEST.. [​IMG]

3. tcobbs

Apr 16, 2016
    Thanks!

Since we live in Houston, we don't get very cold, and the little bit of cold we get doesn't last long. For us, the greater concern is hot summers.. and it's wet most of the the time. My hubby is not handy at all. He hates any sort of project. I am thrilled with what he bought, (I picked it out), but I would have loved to have a pretty "made for me by design" coop. It just isn't his thing, and I physically can't do it myself, as I have just had back surgery. So!... I doubt I get windows in the shed part, unless I can put them in myself, or can talk son-in-law into helping (I've been begging him for 3 years to help me build a coop). Hubby will help with the roosts, nestboxes, etc. Right now, the plan is to enclose the open part half-way down both sides with wood to make a dry, wind-free sheltered area. This is where the roosts and nests, food/water, etc, will be. The rest with some sort of mesh wire, likely it'll be no climb horse wire since we have that already. The holes are smaller than bull panels (1x3 maybe, or 2x3?), so snakes are about the only varmints that can get through, and it's strong/long lasting. We'll run hardware cloth around the bottom to keep chicks inside. The shed part is not very big... 5 foot, by whatever the width of the structure is. I'm thinking I'll use one side for dry storage and the other side for a couple brooders. The flock will be in the bigger part, and the roll up will remain up. My chickens free range on an acre during the day. So, their coop will only be for nighttime, and if we are having a party, as they tend to insist on hanging out on the deck with us. Lol...

Depending on just how big the whole thing is, I'm considering splitting the open part and using half for chickens and the other half as a rabbit colony, since the chickens will only be utilizing it at night. I only want about a dozen or so laying chickens, and 10 grow-outs at a time. I know in chicken math that'll end up being a few more.

I'm not sure I can stand 4-6 weeks anticipation! Lol. I've waited so long I guess I'll survive... eeeeek.

4. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Sounds like a GREAT PLAN. and considering your location, your chickens can stay in the open year round. The overhead roof will keep them dry. Keep us posted with your progress and include some nice pix. [​IMG]

5. tcobbs

Apr 16, 2016
    Will do! :)

6. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Ah, just what I needed....another case of "coop envy." <sigh>

7. tcobbs

Apr 16, 2016
    Oh, Blooie! Do I ever know your pain! It's been a long wait. Almost 3 years... I hope you get your coop up soon. <3

8. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Oh, I've got mine already! See?

[​IMG]
    On August 20th.....our summertime.

[​IMG]
    And during the rest of the year from August 21 until the following August 20th. [​IMG]

Didn't mean to imply that I didn't have a setup already - just that when I see such a pristine, brand new setup that sparks a million ideas I suddenly want to do another one. <sigh> Yep, coop envy! [​IMG]

9. tcobbs

Apr 16, 2016
    Haha! Nice!! We are just the opposite. It's November 29th and 80 degrees! Where's winter? Actually, I won't complain, it's a pretty glorious day, to be honest.

[​IMG]

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Yeah, structure envy....very cool, congrats!

Rats, weasels can get thru 1x3....raccoons can reach thru it, so keep your roosts away from the mesh walls.

If it's wet a lot where you are, will you put structure on raised ground to avoid any flooding into coop area?

advanced search>titles only>carport

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by