looking for excellent broody breed

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Vickir73, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Vickir73

Vickir73 Chickens Ate My Brain

Sep 9, 2010
    Leggett/Livingston
    I'd like to add a couple of broodies to my flock. Lavender Orphingtons? (sp?) I thought I had a barred rock who was going to be broody, but after about a week she stopped. I know the kids would love to see a momma with some babies. Is there a breed (or two) that are really good to use? When I bought my original flock I specifically looked for (1) heat hardiness and (2) non-broody, so none of my girls are really interested in hatching anything out. Thanks!!

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Silkies and Cochins are generally considered to be the best broodies but Orpingtons have a great rep too. If you go to the Breeds database, you can sort by any of the columns. When you sort by the broody column it will list which ones have the greatest tendency to brood and you can then look through their other characteristics to see which appeal the most.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  3. aShMaNv

aShMaNv Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Choctaw, OK
    Cochins!!! [​IMG] I have a couple of banty cochins and I can slip a few eggs underneath them and thats it. My job is done. The hen takes care of the rest. Silkies are good as well.

4. little blue

little blue Chillin' with my Orps

Jul 11, 2010
    Mansfield, CT
    all our orps go broody we have a white,blue,2 buffs an 2 lavender's broody right now so lavs will go broody we have found that they all seem to be good moms.

5. The Burg Peeps

The Burg Peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Ontario
    Silkies and Cochin are both used for brooding purposes. They both will sit on eggs... even if they aren't their own. If you want a standard size breed I would go with Cochin. Silkies are Bantam so they may get picked on if all your other chickens are standards.
    Have Fun!

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  7. coldupnorth

coldupnorth Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    N. MN
    My orpingtons are great broodies. Take their job seriously

8. Vickir73

Vickir73 Chickens Ate My Brain

Sep 9, 2010
    Leggett/Livingston
    ddawn, thanks for the link. Great article!

9. Sparklee

Sparklee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2008
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  10. serendipity22

serendipity22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    NC
    NOTHING on my farm goes broody more than my Marans... NOTHING!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by