Looking for Food Grade DE in Northern Indiana

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by justlearning, Jul 8, 2011.

1. justlearning

justlearning Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2011
    Does anyone in NW Indiana know where to get some food grade DE? Really want to avoid shipping charges if I can. My kids are find doing road trips so willing to travel a little if needed.

2. CatDaddyAlbert

CatDaddyAlbert NoFeathersRuffled

Apr 22, 2011
    Gumboro, Delaware
    Call around to some of the local feed mills. I know some use it as a feed additive. They probably do not advertise it but I am sure they will sell you a bag. You can also call your local feed store and ask them if they can get a bag or two on their next feed shipment. I know for a fact that all distributors that ship feeds like Purina to the feed stores have it in their warehouse.

3. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm in North Central IN and have yet to find a place that has even heard of food grade DE (or red lake earth or fossil shell flour or permaguard or any of the other names for it) much less sells it. We live in farm country so there are a lot of feed stores, just no DE. The one across the highway from us has sweet pdz (only one busted bag) but I want DE.

4. gale65

adding that my dh picks up feed for one of the stores-it's a small one that doesn't want to buy enough for a semiload so he picks it up in various towns for them. I think I am going to arm him with a list of DE names and see if the places where he picks it up has it or knows about it. One is in Mentone and one in Nappanee so maybe one of those will know. The other is local and is a Kent feed place (only Kent brand) so I doubt they would have it.

5. gale65

DH picked up a 50 lb bag of DE today at a place called Dubois Distributors in Mentone. He paid about $23 for it.

6. justlearning

justlearning Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2011
    Found it at Jakes in Kouts. Thanks.

7. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    $23 for 50 pounds is a good price. Here in California it's $32 for 50 pounds. Or, if you are like me and only have six chickens I paid $17 for 1.5 pounds because I was worried about storing it. LOL

8. gale65

If it matters, the brand he bought in Mentone was Diasource.

9. TheBrumstead

TheBrumstead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Hobart, IN
    Quote:Yep, I was going to suggest Jake's or the Tizwhiz feed mill down the street. That's where I got it when we had a dog flea problem.

10. bluebird

bluebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Valparaiso, IN
    Quote:Dang! I was just there yesterday! Didn't know they carried DE I would have bought some! [​IMG]

How much was it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by