Looking for free or cheap heat lamp for upcoming chicks

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by mom2fourbebes, Mar 3, 2009.

1. mom2fourbebes

mom2fourbebes Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2008
    Hi,

If you have an extra heat lamp laying around you could spare or sell cheaply, let me know! Thanks! and of course, I'll take care of shipping!

2. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    With shipping, you'd end up paying about as much as you would for a brand new one at Walmart. They have shop lights/clamp lamps for $6.47 (that's with PA sales tax), priority shipping will probably cost you at least $4.95, and then you run the risk of it being broken or getting lost in transit.

3. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Yeah what Betta said. If you have a clamp light, just go buy a bulb and its really inexpensive. Good luck, and I never used to use heat lamp bulbs, but I did buy one with really super other usages!

4. mom2fourbebes

mom2fourbebes Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2008
    i didn't know Walmart sells those??? You learn something new each day! Thanks!

5. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    Most big box type hardware stores (Lowes, Homedepot, Ace) also sell the metal clamp on or hanging type reflector shades plus the bulb sold separately.

Make sure to look at the paper label inside the metal reflector to check to see what wattage of bulb it is rated for. Some smaller or cheaper ones are only rated to 150 watts, and you should not use the 250 watt bulbs in them. Probably the 250 watt bulb isnt necessary unless it is very cold or you are heating a larger area.

chel

6. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Yeah, mine is rated for 150w, but I use a 100w bulb.

7. rnoyster

rnoyster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    Conway, South Carolina
    I bought mine at tractor supply. Cost of the entire fixture and the bulb as about $12.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by