Looking for Game Cam recommendations -

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Mtn Laurel, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Mtn Laurel

Mtn Laurel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    My Coop
    We're interested in getting a game cam for our coop and back yard. Anyone have any recommendations of what features we should be looking for, what type/brand is best, where would be the best spot to purchase one?

Game Cam would be used for back yard and coop area. We're in a wooded region and know we have predators but our hens have been lucky so far. [Knocking on wood here] Would just like to know what's been setting our dogs - a lab and a coonhound - off every night.

Somethin' is lurkin' in them thar' woods!

2. wolfglen

wolfglen Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2014
    Punta Gorda, Florida
    I've had a couple and not really cared that much for any of them, I guess that I've been spoiled by using my Canon Mark II for wildlife photography.

One thing to check before actually purchasing any of them, be sure that it comes with a card in it! If a company is too cheap to give you a card when you spend your good money with them, then you probably can't count on them caring about anything else as far as quality. It 's a real pain to drive 30 miles one way, get home and find that you have to go back to the store to buy a card to make it work. A digital camera being sold without a card is like a salesman selling you a car and then you finding out that you don't get tires with it!

3. War Chicken

War Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2011
    Moultrie Panoramic 150. It has 3 sensors and a swiveling camera to cover 150 deg which I think is a lot better for surveillance duty. So far, people seem very satisfied with it. I have two Bushnells and I don't consider to be good values. It seems you can buy the top of the line Moultrie for the price of a mid-range Bushnell. Perhaps it's because Moultrie doesn't appear to attempt to control retail prices, allowing competition to do its thing.

4. Mtn Laurel

Mtn Laurel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    My Coop
    Thank you both for the input. My son has a friend who's a hunter and has a game cam so will get his input, too. We're looking for something not too terribly expensive but will give us a clue as to what's going on in the dark that has our dogs so riled up and may be a threat to our girls.

Appreciate your help!

5. wolfglen

Jan 7, 2014
    Punta Gorda, Florida
    I also do periodic checks on my property at night with an infra red spotting scope I bought years ago, It's not a state of the art one, just a military surplus one, but it picks up predators at night without warning them as a regular white light would do.

I had a bobcat that was menacing my birds one day and had to do battle with him with a shovel. I now carry my old off duty snub nosed .38 with me when I'm out in the back.

6. The Lazy L

The Lazy L Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2011

That's why I read the package description to see what is included before I buy and leave the store.

7. The Lazy L

The Lazy L Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2011
    IMHO a black LED is best because it practically unseen when it flashes. I was leaning towards a Bushnell before my problem acquired a severe case of lead poisoning.

8. wolfglen

Jan 7, 2014
    Punta Gorda, Florida
    Some of them don't even mention it on the package,

9. War Chicken

War Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2011
    I haven't heard of any trail cameras coming with a memory card. Even Canon DSLRs don't come with them unless the retailer tries to make up a kit including a lame tripod and cleaning kit.

I'd rather just use a card I already have rather than paying $20 for one.

10. Wrooster

Wrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2013
    Northern Florida
    I borrowed one and was underwhelmed. The biggest problem was that it would do pictures on fixed intervals or motion-triggered. However, it had a long interval (30 seconds, I think) between motion-triggered pictures. It took a bunch of experimenting with it to figure out what it really did. Don't remember what kind it was but I'd say read the feature descriptions carefully. This one had a small internal memory and would take a card..

I've used a cheap ($15 or so) driveway alarm from Harbor Freight to tell me when to take the gun and get out there when I knew a raccoon was hanging around. It sounds like you already have an alarm of sorts but it worked well. I've also used it to tell me when to empty out a trap.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by