looking for general guidelines

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by watchdogps, Jun 5, 2011.

1. watchdogps

watchdogps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Central Ohio
    I am looking for an outline of how to build a basic coop. Things like x sq ft per bird, how high should roosts be, size of next boxes and location, how much ventilation. Also, I want both guineas and chickens, what differences if any are there for guineas?

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    REally the best education I can suggest is to invest some time browsing this site (the learning center, the coop designs pages, and threads here on the forum). That way you can read lots of different peoples' "takes" on those subjects, and see how other people build/manage their coops, and get a sense of what options you're choosing from.

For guineas, again, check out the section of the forum for guinea fowl and you will see what is working for people.

You'll get a FAR better grasp of the situation that way than if you just read a quick concise list of *just one person's* oversimplified-quickie version of things [​IMG]

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

3. watchdogps

Jun 4, 2011
    Central Ohio
    Thanks, I guess I am being lazy and juts trying to get some very general guidelines so i know exactly what I am getting into. My head is spinning trying to find a place to move, plus working overtime to ensure we have the $$ to do so. We just found out we will NOT be getting the 160 acre property we so had our hearts set on, so it's back to the drawing board there.

4. ChooksinChoppers

ChooksinChoppers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Ocala, Florida.
    Yeah Pat is right...there is a wealth of info in this forum. Plus, people will give you what "they" do/use and that might not suit your particular climate. There is so many variables in that..snow..cold wind...heat...humidity..land size..how many chickens...and so on.
    I think my number 1 hint would be to only use hardware cloth! Why go to all that work and enable a dog or other preditor to break in?

5. watchdogps

Jun 4, 2011
    Central Ohio
    Mine willl mainly free range, but for the pen part of it, it will be stronger than hardware cloth, it will be REAL fencing, because there will be a dog in with the birds at night!
    I know there will be some variables, but I figure there are some things that are the same. Also, I dont see any pics of the insides of coops, and I need to know how to design that.

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:The thing is, a lot of things that eat chickens can slip thru, or climb over, chainlink or 2x4 or wooden fencing. And dogs do sleep. Even if your dog turns out to be as absolutely-wonderful-perfect with the chickens as you are projecting -- although I gotta tell you that a whole lot of BYCers have lost chickens to dogs that were wonderful with the chickens right up to the moment when suddenly they weren't, and it might be good to design your coop to accommodate any necessary change in plan in this regard -- dogs sometimes fall asleep. I would not personally want to rely on a dog alone for nighttime protection, I'd want the chickens in a basically pretty predatorproof coop. JMHO of course, everyone's tastes differ.

Sorry you didn't get the property you wanted but at least this gives you more time to read and browse and learn more about the subject before you eventually do have to build something [​IMG]

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

7. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

You are getting good info. It depends on too many variables to be able to give a canned answer.

Variables include:
    Are you mixing fowl
    # of birds and their breed (s)
    $ you are willing to spend
    weather
    predator threat
    local laws
    your skill level & time available
    what your goal with birds

All this has major bearing on what you need. It's a lot more than a cute coop and just adding birds

8. watchdogps

Jun 4, 2011
    Central Ohio
    Pat,

I raise Anatolian Shepherds - this is what they are made for, so I'm not worried about that part. Ideally, the birds will be locked in the coop at night so the dog will just need to keep an eye out for things trying to break into the coop. The run will be covered, because I do want guineas as well, and I've seen them in trees.

Bryan,
    I will be mixing chickens and guineas
    probably mixed flock breeds. I know a few to avoid.
    Not spending much
    Weather - we are in Ohio, so all four seasons
    Predators load will depend on where we land, but as I mentioned, I raise Anatolians, and they will do a pretty good job deterring predators.
    laws wont apply, we will be far enough out that it will be agricultural areas.
    Skill - you mean building skills?
    I want them for bug control and a few eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by