1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Looking for Genetic Fly tying eggs/chicks to raise

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by KyleKosovich, Sep 12, 2011.

1. KyleKosovich

KyleKosovich New Egg

Sep 12, 2011
    Anyone know where I can buy genetic roosters or hens of any age? Egg-Adult

Thank You

2. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Maybe you can be more specific on what qualities you are looking for. All chickens carry genetics. And your location is important. Welcome to BYC![​IMG]

3. KyleKosovich

KyleKosovich New Egg

Sep 12, 2011
    I'm looking for roosters that have very long saddle hackles. These are great for tying all sorts of flies. These feathers for flies are like what yeast is to bread. [​IMG]

If anyone has any roosters for sale I'm in Springfield MO.

Thanks

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I don't know of any, but you might try talking to a local sports goods place that sells flies and fly making materials. See if you can trace it back from them.

Since the demand is so high, especially since it became a fad to put those in your hair, I would not be surprised to find out that the eggs and chickens are pretty hard to come by. Something like protecting a monopoly. Hopefully I am wrong and you can find some. Good luck!!!

5. nightowl223

nightowl223 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    United States
    If you want to make a tiny bit of a road trip in a few weeks, there's a swap meet at Jacobs' Cave [​IMG] where I'm sure you can find what you're looking for. I may take some of my extra Dominique-mix roos there to find new homes. [​IMG]
    http://jacobscave.com/jacobscaveanimalswap.htm
    Hope this helps [​IMG]

6. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Try ordering some Polish roos. A friend of mine uses their top hats and saddle feathers for fly ties. I couldn't tell ya where to find any though except through McMurray. Sorry.

7. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    If my Polish girls get settled back down to business, I will have Polish hatching eggs. They quit laying when I put a new Rooster in there. And I am looking into processing roosters and harvesting their hackle/saddle feathers . What would you think I could get for them? What are the most popular colors, besides Barred?

8. KyleKosovich

KyleKosovich New Egg

Sep 12, 2011
    Thanks everyone.

Price depends on the quality of hackle. The longer thinner feathers bring good $$

I really just want my own roosters so me and my fishing friends can have feathers and not compete with this feathered jewelry fad.

-Kyle

9. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

After my friend processed his, he was able to sell the whole skin with feathers for about $30 - $35 apiece...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by