Looking for Giant Dewlap geese

Discussion in 'Geese' started by cutechick2010, Nov 19, 2010.

1. cutechick2010

cutechick2010 Songster

I have always loved the Giant Dewlap geese. I finally found a breeder fairly close to me and emailed them early this summer. They said they were sold out on the goslings for 2010 and asked if I wanted to be put on their waiting list for 2011. I said yes, absolutely. Well, I just went to their website, and it says they are selling out their entire adult flock for a price that is waaaay above my budget. So I am guessing there will be no goslings for 2011 and I am looking for another breeder. [​IMG]
    So here I am posting in the hopes that someone on here either is or knows a good breeder of Giant Dewlap geese. I would prefer to get goslings that I can raise myself, and I don't mind waiting a few months to get them, I know this is a bad time of year to find babies. I am in central Illinois, and if at all possible I need someone who is either within three/four hours drive or will ship. I hope this doesn't sound like a lot to ask, LOL.

2. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers! 7 Years

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
  3. goosedragon

goosedragon Songster

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:African or Toulouse? Both claim to have dewlaps on the giants.

4. cutechick2010

cutechick2010 Songster

Quote:African or Toulouse? Both claim to have dewlaps on the giants.

I prefer the Africans, but I like the Toulouse too. [​IMG] Thanks for the links ducklover, I will check those out!

5. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers! 7 Years

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    your welcome! i'd prefer Holderreads but they cost sooooo much for them and i think i would order from Metzer Farms cause u can order just 2 goslings and u can get them in pairs or st.run

6. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Songster

Dec 28, 2009
    Today I went to a poultry show..and I saw 2 GIANT Tolouse Delwap geese. I inquired about them to the owner and he said in a most arrogant way when I asked him if he had any for sale at his house in Delaware..(show was in Va.), he said these birds parents cost me $700.00. Well I didn't ask that. Nor was I going to spend that much for a bird?? it would have to take me to work and feed me..

7. ultasol

ultasol Songster

Apr 30, 2009
    SE Washington
    I was at a show this fall and a judge told me I should buy a pair of a certain breeders geese, a bargain at only $600 before shipping. At this point, I am very happy with the type on mine for their age. They are truly gorgeous geese as long as I have waterfowl they will be in my barnyard. Lovely geese, quieter than africans, gentle dispositions.

8. kristen2678

kristen2678 Songster

Apr 26, 2009
    North Berwick Maine
  9. cutechick2010

cutechick2010 Songster

Wow yeah, the Holderreads are expensive alright, $90 EACH for a buff gosling, before shipping. Holy cow. I will contact the Metzer people and see what it would cost me to order for next year and what they would have available when.

Do you want to know something I found amusing? (You might not, but I am easily amused.[​IMG]) If you Google "giant dewlap geese breeders" this thread is the top result. [​IMG] I didn't find that as helpful as it might have been otherwise.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by