Looking for good portable coop plans... I don't mind paying for them

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by tinuviel_k, Aug 1, 2011.

1. tinuviel_k

tinuviel_k New Egg

Apr 8, 2010
    I am looking to build a chicken tractor this year, and I am the kind of person that needs to use detailed plans: I don't do too well "winging it." [​IMG] I am having a hard time finding plans, and was hoping some of you wise folks might be able to point me in the right direction. Free plans are fine, of course, but I am more than willing to pay for plans. I did a search of past threads here, but mostly found posts asking about free plans.

I am looking to have a flock of 4-5 hens, and would like a tractor-style coop that I can move about the yard. They will spend some time ranging in our fenced yard (standard fenced city lot) but will need to spend some days in the coop, so I don't want a teeny one. I live in a mild but rainy climate, so a covered run is a must.

I liked the look of the Garden Ark: http://www.thegardencoop.com/ But I was hoping for a bigger coop so I can have more than the 3 hens that coop can hold. I'm open to many other styles of portable coop, though!

Thanks for your help!

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  2. CountryBumpkin2011

CountryBumpkin2011 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2011
    Aurora, CO
    So I have ZERO construction skills, my DH is a carpenter by trade but told me that if I really wanted chicks I would have to put in the work so no help from him! [​IMG] So anyway I bought the plans to a chicken tractor and I am almost done. I have made some modifications of my own so its taking me a little longer...like I added pertruding nesting boxes and I also added more details to make it appear more like a barn. Anyway, these plans worked for me and they were only 5 bucks.

Oh and I think the size holds about 5 chickens....

http://www.fredsfinefowl.com/portablecoopprints.html

Good luck!

3. MuckyPuppy

MuckyPuppy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    UK
    Quote:Well geeze, what is the fun in having someone with a skill in the family if you can't borrow them. That's like having a doctor in the family and not being able to say, "I have this crusty red and purple rash on my posterior that is oozing a custard yellow river of puss. Can you have a look at it?" [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  4. CountryBumpkin2011

CountryBumpkin2011 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2011
    Aurora, CO
    Quote:Well geeze, what is the fun in having someone with a skill in the family if you can't borrow them. That's like having a doctor in the family and not being able to say, "I have this crusty red and purple rash on my posterior that is oozing a custard yellow river of puss. Can you have a look at it?" [​IMG]

I know right! I work with Medicare so when he gets old he better not call me![​IMG]

Well I may have been a little hard on him, he will give me advice but as far as the actual labor that is all up to me. But thats ok cause when we start getting eggs guess who wont be getting that omelet [​IMG]

5. rhackenb

rhackenb New Egg

Oct 20, 2010
  6. tinuviel_k

tinuviel_k New Egg

Apr 8, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by