Looking for Grandma's dumpling/noodles

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by 60ACRES, Jun 17, 2009.

1. 60ACRES

60ACRES Stepped in what??

Apr 8, 2009
    Long, OK
    My grandmother used to make noodles that we would have pretty much each Sunday. I have described them to people before, and they claim they are just dumplings, but shaped like egg noodles.

They were indeed shaped like egg noodles, probably a little thicker. When she served them they had very little liquid with them, but they were piled into a large bowl. I could eat them without anything else to go with them, though they were a great with everything she ever served with them.

I do believe they were boiled in chicken broth.

So, anyone have an idea?

2. I know when I make my noodles, if I cook them as soon as they are done, no drying, they puff up and are more like a dumpling than they are a noodle, and are delicious. Could that be the difference in the way she cooked them?

3. 60ACRES

Apr 8, 2009
    Long, OK
    Quote:Yes, she cooked them as soon as she had them cut.

And I know she would not have had any kind of special flour.

4. Quote:Yes, she cooked them as soon as she had them cut.

And I know she would not have had any kind of special flour.

My recipe is so simple: 1 cup flour, 1 egg, few tbsps. rich milk, salt. Or I usually do three cups flour, 3 eggs to make a big batch . . . mix together and roll and cut . . . drop into boiling broth, or let dry for awhile. They are always so good. Tender and sometimes a little harder to work with than the dryer recipes, but well worth it.

5. 60ACRES

Apr 8, 2009
    Long, OK
    Thank you, I will give it a go!

-Darris

6. PeggySue

PeggySue Songster

Jun 1, 2009
    Oh for crying out loud! This website is gonna cause me to gain a hundred pounds........ my Grandmother's noodles were the bomb, I still remember them and she's been gone almost 30 years.... as I recall she froze her noodles......... now that I've been reminded of them, I'm going to have to get out my rolling pin.......

7. 60ACRES

Apr 8, 2009
    Long, OK
    Quote:So is yours the same as above?

8. PeggySue

PeggySue Songster

Jun 1, 2009
    Quote:So is yours the same as above?

As best I recall it is.... Grandma passed away when I was 18, so I was a young teen the last time I watched her do it because we lived so far apart, but flour, eggs, milk and salt is pretty much it.
    Heck, I may make some this evening, was a long icky day at work, need the relaxation!!!! And comfort food!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: