Looking for guidance

CrazyCrttr75

Free Ranging
Apr 21, 2018
Robertson County, TN
I have a broody. She is an Austra White that I got through Meyer’s. The info says that they are a nonbroody breed but I guess I got the luck of the draw. She started shortly after she started laying and I think I broke her broodiness 5 times last year. This is her 2nd time this year so far so I am letting her give it a go. The main coop isn’t conducive for hatching out eggs:
74B99B17-402B-4F9C-97A8-A5828625FA25.jpeg

No real way to keep the other girls away and any hatched chicks protected. So I decided to try to move her to a different coop:
C5A9615D-02CA-464A-A620-DFC182E15FBF.jpeg
That is her in the corner. She is sitting on 3 eggs. This is the coop in its entirety:
67D87B9F-EEA0-4817-B18D-52EE4A2D4ABE.jpeg

It has an enclosed covered area where I can keep her food and water. There is a door between the 2 sections. I opened the door in between this morning and she came out to eat and drink and poop etc but then she went back to the nest and has been sitting all day. Should I keep the doors propped open so she can have more connection to the others now that it is obvious she is truly committed to sitting? Should I keep her isolated? This is only Day 2. When do you start counting for hatch day? Is it too early to really consider her committed? What would y’all do?

Last edited:
I have a broody. She is an Austra White that I got through Meyer’s. The info says that they are a nonbroody breed but I guess I got the luck of the draw. She started shortly after she started laying and I think I broke her broodiness 5 times last year. This is her 2nd time this year so far so I am letting her give it a go. The main coop isn’t conducive for hatching out eggs:
View attachment 2170173
No real way to keep the other girls away and any hatched chicks protected. So I decided to try to move her to a different coop:
View attachment 2170175That is her in the corner. She is sitting on 3 eggs. This is the coop in its entirety:
View attachment 2170174
It has an enclosed covered area where I can keep her food and water. There is a door between the 2 sections. I opened the door in between this morning and she came out to eat and drink and poop etc but then she went back to the nest and has been sitting all day. Should I keep the doors propped open so she can have more connection to the others now that it is obvious she is truly committed to sitting? Should I keep her isolated? This is only Day 2. When do you start counting for hatch day? Is it too early to really consider her committed? What would y’all do?
It looks like she will be fine there. The flock can see her so all should be well later for integration

Back
Top Bottom