Looking for help for a science chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChicInn, Jan 6, 2017.

1. ChicInn

ChicInn New Egg

Mar 27, 2015
    Gaithersburg, MD
    oops sick chicken

I have a two year old Buff Orppington that has the following symptons

-lethargic
    -won't eat
    -yellow diarrhea
    -loss of vent feathers
    -she will drink water
    -ruffled unkept feathers

We noticed 2 days ago after we had a preditor get in and lost 2 chickens. Not sure if that is related or not.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  2. ChicInn

ChicInn New Egg

Mar 27, 2015
    Gaithersburg, MD
    Well by the time I got home today it was too late. I would appreciate any feedback so that I might learn from this. We still have 16 more chickens that are all doing fine. I will add that my son said that earlier today she looked like she was trying to go poo but could not. When I found her her vent was wide open and looking reddish. This is a bit hard on me as I am attached to all of my "peeps".

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry for your loss. It sounds a bit like she was being pecked about her vent by the other chickens. Could she have had a prolapsed vent? There could have been a case of egg binding, constipation, or even something like internal laying happening. A necropsy can be done by your state vet or poultry lab in most states to look for a cause of death if the body is refrigerated in a plastic bag.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by