Looking for help in Kentucky

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Smurfy, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Smurfy

Smurfy Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2010
    I am looking for help processing a batch of roosters...we have never done this before and didn't know if there is somewhere we can take them...we are just outside of Louisville,KY...We would be willing to pay someone...just want it done as humanely as possible.

2. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Do you have any Amish in your area? They do it fairly cheap.

3. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    Are you looking for somebody to show you how, or looking for a processor? How many birds?

There's a processor in Bowling Green, http://www.aboutssenterprises.com/ if you want to have them done. Unless you happen to live near the ONE legal processor in the whole state, or near one of the only 2 places, (one in Morehead, one in Frankfort) that the mobile unit, http://www.extension.org/pages/Kentucky_Mobile_Poultry_Processing_Unit#Basic_information, can be used, you're hours away from any legal processing. There's a third docking station being built in Jackson county, I have no idea when it's supposed to be finished. The mobile unit is a DIY thing, after you take the $50 class, and pay $75 to do your 1st 75 birds, and .75 per additional bird, and you have to bring a 100 lb tank of propane for the scalder. They don't transport propane with the unit due to the risk, but evidently it's not a risk to have people from all over the state drag 100 lbs of propane with them, in their own private vehicle. They also make you throw away the gizzards, if you 're selling your birds anyway, I don't know if they will let you keep them for yourself. You can buy gizzards at the grocery in KY, but apparently, if the bird is processed here, they aren't edible, like they are anywhere else. (Can you tell this whole subject is a sore spot with me?)

SS Enterprises, and the mobile processing unit are the only 2 options for legal processing in KY. With the mobile unit, you have to take a class before you can use it.

But that's all if you plan to sell the processed chickens. For your own consumption, you can process them yourself at home. That's the line of least resistance, in KY.

Whereabouts near L-ville? If you just want to learn how to do them yourself, maybe we could work something out. I go up to L-ville fairly often.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  4. Smurfy

Smurfy Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2010
    We are east of Lville in Shelby county. I was more looking for someone to do it. I have processed one bird before in an animal science class, and was trying to be a weanie and not do it again! Although with a growing family to feed I am a little more in the mind set to do it myself now. I agree with you in all the legal issues being ridiculous. I am actually purchasing the birds from someone who processes their opwn, but of course for legal reasons won't do these.

5. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    Maybe they'd be willing to have you over when they process, and teach you how. You could buy one to do yourself, alongside them, if they're agreeable to that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by