Looking for help with sick chicken

sspare

Chirping
Jun 6, 2020
Bethune South Carolina
Looking for some insight about my sick chick. Leghorn about 2 years old. Had some diarrhea 2 days ago and is now listless, not eating or drinking, not laying for 2 maybe 4 days. Comb is purplish on the ends. Her crop is soft. Skin around vent is red but not open. Her belly seems distended but soft. She sipped some water with probiotic (from tractor supply) and she ate a few bites of greek yogurt and took a few sips of water. I washed the stool off her bottom and clipped the feathers where it stuck. Her stool is white mostly, watery, and foul (pardon the pun) smelling. Her eggs when she was laying were soft shelled. Her food is Dumor crumble, there is oyster shell available for her and the rest of the crew and I give back the shells that they all eat. No one else has symptoms. I have researched this site and others but I'm a bit overwhelmed because nothing seems to fit. What can I do for her? Any help would be appreciated

The eggs being soft-shelled is a clue to a possible reproductive disorder. Does her lower belly seem enlarged, possibly with fluid as ascites or water belly is? Could you post pictures of any abnormal droppings? Do you have any antibiotics, such as amoxicillin or enrofloxacin? You cannget thise online (Aqua Mox for fish, enrofloxacin 10% liquid for pigeons.) She may be dehydrated from the increased white urates in her droppings. I would offer water often, and add water to a small bowl of chicken feed, egg or anything else she would eat.

The eggs being soft-shelled is a clue to a possible reproductive disorder. Does her lower belly seem enlarged, possibly with fluid as ascites or water belly is? Could you post pictures of any abnormal droppings? Do you have any antibiotics, such as amoxicillin or enrofloxacin? You cannget thise online (Aqua Mox for fish, enrofloxacin 10% liquid for pigeons.) She may be dehydrated from the increased white urates in her droppings. I would offer water often, and add water to a small bowl of chicken feed, egg or anything else she would eat.
Thank you for your help. Yes her belly is large. It is soft like fluid filled. I am "visiting" her every 2 hours or so for water offerings. There is a small bowl of water for her as well as a small bowl of yogurt that she likes. I will get some antibiotics to offer her. How should I dose her? I will also get some pics of her droppings Thank you

Thank you for your help. Yes her belly is large. It is soft like fluid filled. I am "visiting" her every 2 hours or so for water offerings. There is a small bowl of water for her as well as a small bowl of yogurt that she likes. I will get some antibiotics to offer her. How should I dose her? I will also get some pics of her droppings Thank you
I went to give her more water a few minutes ago and get those pictures. She won't take any yogurt or water. I tried with a syringe. She closes her eyes and does not fight me. Her belly is larger. Her comb is darker and her breathing is labored. She hasn't had any more stools. I did look up water belly or ascites and the picture seems to fit. I feel terrible because I didn't even know she was ill and I'm out with them 3 or 4 times a day.
tempImageND4PY0.png
tempImageHUKfQp.png
tempImageVTDzbH.png

You were correct with your diagnosis of water belly or ascites. I did some research and rather than let her suffer and die, I found an article for paracentesis procedure on a chicken. All the symptoms fit her problem list. I drained about a cup of ascites from her belly then put her in her isolated area. About 3 hours later, she was more awake and took some water (with probiotics) and some yogurt. I did find some amoxicillin and dosed her. This was on October 1. Four days later, she is now eating and drinking. She is also walking and tried to join her friends in the run. She has her own outside run. I'm happy she looks better but don't expect a long term recovery as ascites is just a symptom. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

So glad that you did some research and learned to drain her belly. That picture is a classic one of ascites. Sorry I just now caught up with your thread. Was the fluid yellow or amber colored? Draining is a temporary relief of ascites. It will come back. Draining has a risk of infection and more rarely, death. Conditions that cause ascites are reproductive disorders, infections, cancer, liver disease, and heart failure. I would offer some electrolytes after each draining. Let us know how she gets along.

The fluid was yellow and slightly cloudy. Yes, I realize it's temporary and unfortunately due to something sinister. I didn't see any signs of parasites. Not sure if my draining her belly occasionally will be a good quality of life for her. When I drained her belly on the 1st of October she was not too responsive (hence read cooperating). I am giving her electrolytes with her probiotic in her water. She is getting her amoxicillin mixed in with some scrambled eggs (the only thing she devours so I know she gets the med) Her belly is not so angry looking. She looks so much better and yesterday escaped her outdoor quarantine and tried to mix with the rest of the flock. She isn't as fast... so she was easy to catch and return to her own run. Last evening I watched as she stood and ate actual chicken chow from her feeder. Thanks for your input. Day by day

Oh and her comb has lost its purple color and returned to the red.
PS. Ive attached a few photos. The first was the procedure. I had already filled my dish with fluid so I just drained the rest in a paper towel. The second is 2 days later and the last is 5 days later.
tempImageADRV9Z.png
tempImageYzju5s.png
tempImagevDAc03.png

Last edited:
So glad that you did some research and learned to drain her belly. That picture is a classic one of ascites. Sorry I just now caught up with your thread. Was the fluid yellow or amber colored? Draining is a temporary relief of ascites. It will come back. Draining has a risk of infection and more rarely, death. Conditions that cause ascites are reproductive disorders, infections, cancer, liver disease, and heart failure. I would offer some electrolytes after each draining. Let us know how she gets along.
Thanks or your invaluable help and support. My hen has recovered from this acute phase and is eating/drinking/joining the flock. She looks much better, even her comb is now all red. It has been almost 3 weeks and she looks great (but still skinny). I feed her separately so I know she is getting her food. The rest of the flock is very greedy.... chickens. Yesterday she laid an egg. I'm still suspicious but she looks happy and her feathers are growing back

Back
Top Bottom