Looking for Hens & Advice in Southern Wisconsin

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by potterycat, Feb 1, 2016.

1. potterycat

potterycat Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2016
    Hi!

I'm so excited that we are purchasing a house where we can finally have CHICKENS!!! YAY! I need some advise.

We are moving to many acres of wooded land. The house sits at the top of a hill that already has a coop with 24 boxes. I will start small with 4 but I wonder how many I could have. I am also concerned about predators. Our house and the coop is surrounded by woods. I would like to let the chickens roam free during the day. Do you think that would be safe?

Lastly, for anyone in southern WI; where do you get your chickens?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Congrats on being able to get chickens :clap
    Free ranging your birds with a wooded area and predators present will always be a risk and they could get taken. To keep then safe a covered, strong and sturdy run would be your best option to keep them safe.

You might like to drop by your state thread for keepers in your area, they may be able to point you in the right direction for birds. State threads can be found here ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you

Wishing you the very best of luck and enjoy BYC :frow

1 person likes this.
  3. Hankfam

Hankfam Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2016
    Do you have any specific breed you are wanting? I know someone in south eastern Wisconsin that sells chicks, depending on what your looking for I could put you in contact with them.

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. If you free range your chickens in a wooded area, you are going to lose some to predators. It will be up to you to determine whether or not those losses are acceptable. If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

1 person likes this.
  5. potterycat

Feb 1, 2016
    Thank you!

6. potterycat

Feb 1, 2016
    I'm not sure at this point. I have 3 children, a dog and a husband that all want to play! :) I'm looking for regular big egg layers, friendly, and pretty chickens.

7. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

As the other greeters have already said, no matter where you free range, there are risks.

As for how many chickens can your coop hold, we'd need the square footage to help you out with that. The rule of thumb is 4-5 sq. feet per bird (not including feeders, waterers, nesting boxes) and about 10 sq. feet per bird in a run. The more space chickens have, the happier they are...crowding chickens causes problems such as feather picking and bullying.

The Learning Center has some good information on most all your questions (including some you probably haven't even thought of yet) so check it out.

8. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    You're welcome.

9. vmlocks

vmlocks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2016
    Central NC
    We are almost at capacity for our city and if you could cover shipping we could probably spare a Silkie and a Black Spanish fairly quickly. No need to purchase at least not from us. We are in NC.

Victor and Mother Tucker

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by