Looking for heritage/rare pullets to buy in NW Indiana

I have a question ---

If you only want pullets, why would it matter if they're a rare breed?
idunno.gif

I have to tell you --- from my perspective as a Dorking breeder --- I refuse to sell them to people who have no intention of breeding them & would never sell only pullets. IMHO, if they're on the ALBC's list, they need to be preserved, not collected. There are a lot of beautiful breeds available that are not rare.

You'll also likely find that most reputable breeders of extremely rare heritage poultry only sell them straight run, even if they can be easily sexed at hatch. My personal preference is to sell them in pairs or trios. If we sold only the pullets, we'd have no fresh breeding stock for the following season.

Quote:
tgrlily, I'm not trying to argue or anything but I'll put up another couple of ways to think of this issue.

Breeders may have extra pullets available that are turning out to be nice birds but not of the quality they wish to use next year for breeding. Many of these "culls" still do a great job of representing their breed.

Also, I believe if someone wants to support a rare breed by purchasing only females, enjoying their wonderful qualities and telling their friends and relatives, even if they don't want to breed them, it increases awareness, and that in turn may increase demand for the breed in the future. Increased demand means more folks can raise them and sell the offspring, which leads to increased awareness which in turn increases demand... (Yup, I teach economics, sorry for the lecture)
tongue.png

Now, if a breed is down to its last few healthy/quality individuals, like you said EXTREMELY rare, that is a different story. But many breeds called rare are far from that point, and I think those are what DanIndiana was referring to. Buckeye come to mind.

DanIndiana, if you are interested I will have several Buff Chantecler pullets for sale late spring or early summer. Unfortunately I am about an hour west of Chicago near the IL/WI border. I won't know which are pullets and which are male until then.

Quote:
tgrlily, I'm not trying to argue or anything but I'll put up another couple of ways to think of this issue.

Breeders may have extra pullets available that are turning out to be nice birds but not of the quality they wish to use next year for breeding. Many of these "culls" still do a great job of representing their breed.

Also, I believe if someone wants to support a rare breed by purchasing only females, enjoying their wonderful qualities and telling their friends and relatives, even if they don't want to breed them, it increases awareness, and that in turn may increase demand for the breed in the future. Increased demand means more folks can raise them and sell the offspring, which leads to increased awareness which in turn increases demand... (Yup, I teach economics, sorry for the lecture)
tongue.png

Now, if a breed is down to its last few healthy/quality individuals, like you said EXTREMELY rare, that is a different story. But many breeds called rare are far from that point, and I think those are what DanIndiana was referring to. Buckeye come to mind.

DanIndiana, if you are interested I will have several Buff Chantecler pullets for sale late spring or early summer. Unfortunately I am about an hour west of Chicago near the IL/WI border. I won't know which are pullets and which are male until then.

I agree with you. The ones that would not make the best breeders would still make great pets!

I think I just got my terminology wrong. I really meant what I understand as heritage breeds; Barred Plymouth Rock, Buff Orpington, Wyandotte, etc. I don't know if this is correct. I just don't like the idea of hardcore commercial layers so much, and there are so many more attractive breeds that have been around for ever that lay just fine. Hopefully, breeding is also something I will get into down the road a bit.
Thanks

Hello does anyone know of a Ameraucane Bantam Breeder in North West Indiana where I can purchase a few chicks?
I am in Valpo Indiana
Thank you :)

Hello I am here in Valpo as well, do you know of anywhere I can purchase Ameraucane Bantams near by?
I only wanted and have room for about 2-3 chicks.
Priscilia

Back
Top Bottom