Looking for homemade incubator ideas

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickie fam, Jan 30, 2012.

1. chickie fam

chickie fam Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    Erwin, NC
    looking to see if anyone has good ideas for homemade incubators. Looking to make one for myself to start incubating in the next few weeks.

2. Dirty_South_Chickens

Dirty_South_Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Waco, TX
    I just built a homemade incubator its not complete but working and has 22 eggs in it now. So far my temps and humidity have been great...well after I changed my thermostat from a hot water to a bi-metal! I made this thing for about $60 and the only thing I didn't buy new was the fans which came out of an old Xbox 360.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. tec27

tec27 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    How many eggs you want to incubate? I made one that can hold 20 eggs out of a styrofoam box. Very simple. Keeps temp and humidity great. Couldn't be happier.

4. The Chickeneer

The Chickeneer ~A Morning's Crow~

there are hundreds of great ideas of homemade incubators on youtube, I;ve seen a few, and they look pretty inexpensive and simple to make. Good luck building your bator[​IMG]

5. skillswife

skillswife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    SW Montana
    Mine isn't totally homemade but my MIL blew up duck eggs in mine so I had to improvise. Took everything off the old foam one and got a free styrofoam cooler at the pet store. Some slicing and dicing the styrofoam and I had a new bator:) Works way better than the original.

6. tec27

tec27 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    The key to making your own incubator is making sure you connect your power source to a dimmer switch to control the temperature.

7. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I have gutted an old floor model console TV and am not sure yet if I want it to be an incubator or a brooder or just a habitat for my 2 button quail. The TV was free and the pane of glass for the front was $24. So far that's where I'm at.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by