Looking for humorous stories of your life with chickens

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by 5littlechicks, Oct 20, 2013.

1. 5littlechicks

5littlechicks Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2011
    Middleburg, FL
    Hi! One of my daughters is writing a speech on chickens for our upcoming speech tournament season. She has chosen chickens as her topic and would like to make the speech an After Dinner speech which is a humorous speech informing or persuading the audience. We are needing some humorous stories to work into the speech. If you are willing to share your story, would you post it here and state that we have permission to use it. It can be about anything regarding your chickens.

Thank you!
    June

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  2. BettyBlueSilkie

BettyBlueSilkie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2013
    WA
    I had just gotten my first three chickens and had been nervous all through the night, when I checked on them in the morning and one had layed its first egg I am glad there wasn't any cameras because I jumped up and down and I cried and yelled.

3. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    If she wants to do a speech on "Chickens may be smarter than you think" then one of my favorite threads may help out:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/549678/whats-the-smartest-thing-youve-seen-a-chicken-do

I tried to keep the thread going for a long time to collect lots of stories there. I even added links to some research on chicken intelligence.
    If she wants permission to use a member's story, she can send them a PM (Private Message) by placing the cursor over the user name on the left and click PM.

4. sepaditty1

sepaditty1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    When I got my first egg I was so excited that I dropped it! Had to wait for egg #2 fr breakfast!

We had a hen named Jackie that liked to go over her fence. She loved to wait until we were looking the other way & then jump up. It was pretty cute. We'd hide behind the shed until she jumped up & then come back out. She would quickly jumph down & give a look like, "It wasn't me!"

5. Gooseluvr175

Gooseluvr175 New Egg

Oct 18, 2013
    MODESTO, CA.
    [​IMG]
    This is my PET GEESE THIER NAMES ARE BULLY AND PAINTER THIER MY BABIES. I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHEN THEY LAY EGGS AND CANT WAIT TO BE A GRANDMA ....LOL

6. Gooseluvr175

Gooseluvr175 New Egg

Oct 18, 2013
    MODESTO, CA.
    [​IMG]
    CAN ANYbody PLEASE TELL ME WHEN GEESE LAY EGGS? AND HOW LONG IT TAKES THEM TO HATCH? IVE ALWAYS RAISED CHICKENS AND ROOSTERS AND TURKEYS BUT ONLY RECENTLY GOT INTO GEESE AND I LOVE LOVE LOVE THEM...AND THEY LOVE ME TOO...THANKS FOR YOUR HELP TO ANYONE THAT CAN ANWSER MY QUESTION?

7. My Hen Olive!
    One day I couldn't find my hen Olive. I looked everywhere! Finally I see a black blob. I saw that she was in a nest! She was just getting off. There were like 10 eggs in the nest! Not knowing she was broody I took them away. The next we let her in the house (we let chickens in our house). She got on my desk and layed an egg! I took it. She layed there for about 5 days. Then she begin laying her eggs on my couch! Each day she layed and I took it. She kept getting frustrated that her eggs kept being gone! So she moved nests again. She went to my other couch! I thought maybe she is broody! So I let her lay and each day there was more egg in the nest. Until there was 14 eggs! Then she begin to sit! She wouldn't get off for breaks so we had to pull her off each day! One day we pulled her off and and egg was burried in her feathers and it fell out of her and cracked !:( Luckily the egg wasn't fertile anyway! A few days later that happened again! The egg was fertile :( ! She had 12 eggs left! 21 days after she started sitting I woke up extra early to check on her! I went in there I heard no peeping, I didn't see any chicks! So I went on BYC. Every 10 minutes I went and checked the room with the couch. After about 8 times of checking on her I went in and saw 1 chick peeking his little head out of her feathers! I was so excited! Today that chick's name is Bumblebee! He turned out to be a rooster! He is my new house chicken! That night after seeing many chicks peeking out I decided to move Olive into a crate so the chicks wouldn't fall off the couch. 10 chicks had hatched! 2 eggs were still there! We moved Olive, the chicks, and the 2 eggs into a crate in my living room! About 5 days after the chicks had hatched we saw a pip in one of the 2 eggs left! I was excited "Yay! a late hatcher!" The chick struggled to pip and died in the middle of the night. So sad. One of Olive's chicks who's name is Trooper pipped the wrong way I had to carefully help her out. (note never help a chick out of an egg in less you are sure she needs help find directions on how to do so) Anyways today Olive's chicks are big and strong! One even has 3 chicks of her own! Today Olive lays on my kitchen counter! Silly girl!
    Pictures of Olive:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]ANd yes you have permission to use the story! You can use the pics too!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  8. LibRat

LibRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2013
    Illinois
    LUCY
    The day we got Lucy, I had worked the night before. So when we got home that morning, we put her in her "house" and shut the door knowing she needed some time to get used to her new home before we let her free range with Pigpen. My daughter was still sleeping and I went to bed. Later, she wakes me up crying her eyes out. She felt sorry for Lucy because she was locked up while Pigpen was out running around so she opened the door. Well Pigpen is her first chicken so she had no idea that he's weird and loves people where Lucy is a normal chicken who barely tolerates people. She tries to pet her and Lucy takes off like a bat out of [email protected]@ straight for the wheat field behind our house. We walked the whole wheat field for two hours looking for her. You would think how hard could it be to find a spazzed out chicken in a field? Just look for the moving plants. Well we live in this freak of nature wind vortex where it is ALWAYS windy so the whole field was swaying. Just when we were about to give up I asked her one more time where exactly she went into the field. She points to a general area in the front so I walk over there and look down. There was Lucy laying right there. She hadn't moved the whole while we were running around like chickens with our heads chopped off (no pun intended) right past her I don't know how many times. Then she takes off toward the barn so of course we chased her. Then we spent another-oh I don't know-HOUR chasing her in circles around, over, and under a tractor. The whole while "bok bok ba-GAWK!!" And the whole while my husband (serious city boy) is watching out the window not even offering to help. Finally he comes out laughing at us and asks if we would like a little help. Good luck. He walks right up to her and picks her up and hands her to me. Seriously? Then she pecks me in the nose. She's still nuts but she stays out of the field and the barn. The end :)

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  9. Tacampbell1973

Tacampbell1973 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2013
    Washington State
    I don't know if this is relevant but I was looking for somewhere to say this and so here goes. A few months ago I was looking for a vet to look at a hen of mine that had a major lice infestation. They quoted me a very high price and their reason was that chickens were an "exotic species". Now I have seen these exotic species cluck at thin air and compile more poop on my porch than I ever thought imaginable. I love my birds, but cmon, exotic? I don't know about that.

10. LibRat

LibRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2013
    Illinois
    PIGPEN
    One night Pigpen was watching TV with me and he fell asleep on the back of my chair. He was being so quiet I forgot he was there so I flipped off the TV and light and went to bed.Later, I got up to go to the bathroom. It is a straight shot so I don't need lights. I'm sitting there in the dark and I hear something odd. I'm not going to lie, I was a little freaked out cuz the axe murderer is always behind the shower curtain. A few seconds later I hear it again and it's definitely coming from the bathtub. It was kind of a low "brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" scratch scratch scratch. Now I'm definitely freaked out so I sneak down the hallway and wake my husband to tell him there's someone hiding in the bathtub. He thinks I'm nuts but he humored me and goes to the bathroom, flips on the light and opens the shower curtain and says "I'm telling you there is no one-holy crap!" "COCK-A-DOODLE-DOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" Poor Pigpen found his way to the bathroom and was sleeping in the bathtub.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by