Looking for Ideas: Chicken "Treat" Toys .......

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by GinaSki, Dec 27, 2008.

1. GinaSki

GinaSki Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2007
    Hi ~! As the days remain cold and the girls seemed to be bored....I am looking for ideas for 'toys' for them... things I can put thier treats and goodies in that might keep them buzy on these cold days until spring... if you have pictures.. that would be 'egg-cellent'.. thanks !!!
  2. sunnydee

sunnydee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    I dont have any pictures yet (but can get some if you need). I find that the wire suet cages you would use for wild birds work great for my flock. I have only six chickens so I use only one. But I stuff it with pretty much anything they like to eat. Their favorite is lettuce, but I have put stale breads, muffins pretty much anything.

I have also hung a head of cabbage or lettuce. The trick to this is hang it just high enough for them to reach.

I am on vacation this week and am going to try to make some treats for them that freeze well so when I get back to work I will have some made up. I am thinking of putting oats, peanut butter, some grains, oyster shell, honey etc into a baking sheet and freezing it making little snack bars.

I also forgot to mention to put scratch and black oil sunflower seeds on their litter. My girls love to dig around in it finding treats throughout the day.
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2008
  3. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    I second the hanging lettuce or cabbage. They love that and it will keep them busy.
  4. TreeFever

TreeFever Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2008
    I've also heard of people using cat or dog treat balls. It's a little plastic ball with some holes you fill with kibble and when it rolls around enough from the animal, a treat will pop out of a hole! like this: http://www.crittercottage.com.au/database/images/product_250.jpg/url
    are about 4-6 $ so you could buy one and fill it with...sunflower seeds, raisins, mealies, cheerios whatever would fit...maybe even kibbles [​IMG]
    Or I imagine you could make one out of say a cardboard tube taped off at the ends and full of treats, then poke a few little hole in it.

I want to try this with my chickens [​IMG]
  5. cdeans

cdeans Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I would get a shallow kong(dog toy) and fill it with peanut butter they would love it!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by