Looking for ideas for chicken entertainment during freezing temps!

LizzzyJo

Show me the data 👩🏼‍🔬
5 Years
Dec 14, 2018
The Great Black Swamp, Ohio
I am one of those chicken keepers who relies 100% on free ranging for chicken entertainment :oops:

BUT - I now have two resident red tailed hawks in my backyard. So, I need chicken toy/entertainment ideas. I have seen a lot on here already (swing, hanging cabbage, etc.) but I'm sure people are always upping their game and creating great new games! My enclosed run is only 8x8 and I have 6 girls. Keep in mind they hardly ever go a day without free ranging on 3 acres, suffice it to say they're pissed and bored (I mean angry, not drunk 😉 if that translation was needed for all of my lovely British English peeps).

So, what sort of winter games do your chickens enjoy? Thanks!

Clutter, but it sounds like you have some. Also, treats they have to work for, like a hanging cabbage piñata, or a suet cage full of greens, or one of those balls that they push around and treats fall out of holes. You can make one out of a pop bottle, or buy them at TSC.

Clutter, but it sounds like you have some. Also, treats they have to work for, like a hanging cabbage piñata, or a suet cage full of greens, or one of those balls that they push around and treats fall out of holes. You can make one out of a pop bottle, or buy them at TSC.
I like the bottle idea! Like a dog toy!

I tried the hanging cabbage idea. They looked at me like I had two heads and ignored it. I stuck some peanuts in it and they ate those out of it, but spit out the cabbage (children🤦🏼‍♀️).
I suppose they will get used to it and play with it tomorrow?

Food is not the greatest 'toy'.
Pics of your run might help here.
Maybe you've seen this thread?:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/
Thank you! I’ve tried to incorporate a bit of this, but with an 8x8 run it gets a bit tricky. I should’nt be surprised by this hawk invasion. They come here every January-February then are pretty much gone the rest of the year. The bald eagles stick around but haven’t been an issue. I always have my dog out when the hens are free ranging, but with the hawks actually living in my trees I don’t trust it.
1CD43BBF-0D9C-4535-BEBC-39E4EEC5512F.jpeg
1CD43BBF-0D9C-4535-BEBC-39E4EEC5512F.jpeg
46627643-714A-4E70-9654-0B91DE49AA79.jpeg
2D95B87F-30AA-441B-9A9E-4ECB3425D73C.jpeg
8F38A09E-EBF8-47D4-9DDE-B1CA3EC3AAA3.jpeg

I am one of those chicken keepers who relies 100% on free ranging for chicken entertainment :oops:

BUT - I now have two resident red tailed hawks in my backyard. So, I need chicken toy/entertainment ideas. I have seen a lot on here already (swing, hanging cabbage, etc.) but I'm sure people are always upping their game and creating great new games! My enclosed run is only 8x8 and I have 6 girls. Keep in mind they hardly ever go a day without free ranging on 3 acres, suffice it to say they're pissed and bored (I mean angry, not drunk 😉 if that translation was needed for all of my lovely British English peeps).

So, what sort of winter games do your chickens enjoy? Thanks!

Hey! My girls never use the swing for some reason lol! But I have a lot of recommendations that have worked for my free rage hens! 1. get little kid wooden or plastic (depending on ur budget) chairs, they will roost on them and you can hide treats in them! 2. Lots of logs! Refill them with meal worms or any treat in the crack and they will love them! 3. Tire dust baths! They love when I make the tire ones idk why haha! 4. Try to add some bright colors in there run because it stimulates there brain! 5. It may not be the prettiest but plant CHICKEN SAFE weeds in there coop! They will munch away:) some hawk determination tips that have somewhat what worked for me and my hennies! 1. Fake owl near the coop! 2. Anything shiny will make them be more distant! 3. If you have dogs make sure to let them near the chicken coop more then usual, the hawk will smell them and question it! I hope these help:)!

Hey! My girls never use the swing for some reason lol! But I have a lot of recommendations that have worked for my free rage hens! 1. get little kid wooden or plastic (depending on ur budget) chairs, they will roost on them and you can hide treats in them! 2. Lots of logs! Refill them with meal worms or any treat in the crack and they will love them! 3. Tire dust baths! They love when I make the tire ones idk why haha! 4. Try to add some bright colors in there run because it stimulates there brain! 5. It may not be the prettiest but plant CHICKEN SAFE weeds in there coop! They will munch away:) some hawk determination tips that have somewhat what worked for me and my hennies! 1. Fake owl near the coop! 2. Anything shiny will make them be more distant! 3. If you have dogs make sure to let them near the chicken coop more then usual, the hawk will smell them and question it! I hope these help:)!
Thank you! I can totally do the log with holes and the fake owl. They dust bathe in one corner of the run already. What sort of weeds to you plant? I planted mint because it spreads like crazy and smells nice. I know it’s impossible to get rid of, but nothing else is in that part of the property. I have actually never thought of colors in the run even after years of chicken keeping 🤦🏼‍♀️ I will do that!

Thank you! I can totally do the log with holes and the fake owl. They dust bathe in one corner of the run already. What sort of weeds to you plant? I planted mint because it spreads like crazy and smells nice. I know it’s impossible to get rid of, but nothing else is in that part of the property. I have actually never thought of colors in the run even after years of chicken keeping 🤦🏼‍♀️ I will do that!

Mine love when I plant plantain! It’s one of there favorites! I never had thought about colors as well until I read it a couple months ago! I painted some things brighter in there coop and they certainly are more interested!

Back
Top Bottom