1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Looking for ideas for our muscovy duck pen

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ccmarie, Mar 8, 2013.

1. ccmarie

ccmarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2008
    Yuma, Arizona
    I've got 25 muscovy eggs in the incubator right now. I'm thinking I'll sell/rehome/eat all but three or four (we figured we'd start with a lot of eggs since hatching is supposed to be difficult). We have a spot by the side of the house that has two sides of cement brick wall (I think it's about 7 feet high) and the house on the third side, so we just need to fence off the front somehow. I estimate it's maybe 8 feet by 16 feet. I'll let them out every once and awhile, but not unsupervised since my garden is unfenced. We have a lot of scrap wire and lumber lying around so we can probably figure something out, I'm just getting ideas. Should we have a roost, and how high should it be? Also, any special considerations for our climate, which is very very very hot and dry for several months?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Some kind of fencing across the front with a gate of course, I'd use hardware wire 1/2 inch to keep out preds are they going to have a shelter inside this walled area? where they can be locked in at night? even as high as you say, lots of preds can climb and skale a wall, also you probably should put up something over the top for shade and also protection from flying and climbing preds. mostly for protection from heat and sun. kiddy pool for swimming food and water and your good to go. My Scovies don't roost but other on here do so that up to you but I wouldn't make the roost more than a few feet off the ground.

1 person likes this.
  3. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Like Miss Lydia said, make sure the shelter is predator proof. I have roosts for my muscovy. They are about 22" off the ground and 20" from the walls. I just have 2x4s with the 4" side up.

4. ccmarie

Jul 31, 2008
    Yuma, Arizona
    Thanks. Maybe I'll work a roost into the shelter or something. We have the materials, I'll just have to figure out how to put them together. I haven't seen much in the way of predators (even when our marans chicken kept escaping the coop every morning), but I guess better safe than sorry. We have been a little worried about stray cats but so far none have gotten into the yard.

5. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    you put ducks outside and you'll find out real quick what kind of preds you have, better to be safe than sorry. also putting out a game camera will help you see what comes around in the dark of night and during the day time too. Once you get it all set up please post back with pics so others can see what you have done, we're always looking for different ways to keep our flock safe and secure.

6. ccmarie

Jul 31, 2008
    Yuma, Arizona
    What would you recommend space-wise? My husband was surprised when I told him I only planned on keeping three or four out of our 25 eggs. Is there enough room that two males would get along okay, or should we focus on just one male?

7. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I would only keep one male for your situation.

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    X2 1 drake to 3-5 ducks.

9. ccmarie

Jul 31, 2008
    Yuma, Arizona
    Okay, thanks. I'll get to pick out the best one if I get a good hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by