Looking for ideas for small gutters on my coop

photo chick

Songster
10 Years
May 4, 2009
Essex, VT
We are still under many feet of snow but the day is in sight when all the snow will be melting.....and I need gutters on my coop. I haven't left much room to attach any gutters (no fore thought there) so I need to find something small. The gutters they have at the store are ridiculously large and I've been trying to brain storm what I could use instead. The coop is close to my house so of course it has to look pretty! Does anyone have ideas or mind sharing what they've done?

Would PVC pipe cut in half work? You coud cut downspouts in it and run PVC down and away from the coop? I am fullof ideas, so it won't hurt my feelings if someone thinks its a goofy one!!!! It is neat and you can use it in any size to match your coop size . . .

Get a piece of PVC pipe 2", 3", 4" diameter, whatever you think will fit...Glue end caps at each end and then rip it in half length ways on a table saw. Tehn just drill a coule of holes you can run a nail through from the out side to the fascia just like a normal gutter...Plenty of possibilities for down spout out of teh PVC pipe, just look around at ur local harware store...$15 dollars at most...

I don't think it's a goofy idea! I actually did think of it but wasn't sure how to attach it since it would be curved and not flush. Could I "rip" it with a hack saw? I don't have a table saw. My choice in saws are hand, hack and jig.

Last edited:
PVC pipe, like other have said would work great....however a hacksaw would cause muscle fatigue before you got anywhere near the end. The jig saw might work. Ask at the hardware store what blade to use. Do you have a friend with a table saw? Might be worth asking around, since it would be sooo much faster and would be a much cleaner/more level cut.

Two gutters for the price of one, using the PVC. For downspouts use a "T" fitting or a 90 degree elbow and add another length of the pipe. You could run the downspout directly into a basin to use the rain/meltwater in a nipple watering set up for the chooks.

Quote:
How about flashing that already has a crease in it shaped like a V. Then lay it over some plywood and nudge it narrower to the width you need. It will spring back some and that is ok. Take some tinsnips and cut a triangluar piece to fit the ends with some extended tabs for folding over (you can use cardboard for a template). it just takes pop rivets or even a self drilling sheet metal screws to assemble Caulk the ends for a downspout cut a hole on the end you want the water to come out and hang a chain. The water will follow the chain to what ever vessle you want for redirecting. you can use those tubes they use for regular rain gutters to space them too. Just Cut them the length you need and re open the pinched end with a tap or two of a hammer or poke a screwdriver through from the back side.

Poke holes for the support nails with an awl just to get it started then use a nail through with the spacer to attach the gutter to the coop.

Gawd I hope this wasnt too confusing. Sheet metal design is something I do... um er have done for a living. Boxes, cabinets, brackets and such... worked in a machine shop too aeons ago as a helper.

I have used some flashing that has a little lip on it for attaching. I used small screws to attach and it worked out great and was only a few $

Back
Top Bottom