Looking for ideas on how to incorporate feeder/waterer on new coop PIC

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by matimeo, Sep 5, 2010.

1. matimeo

matimeo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Oregon
    I've been getting great ideas from everyone on this site, and have almost finished my coop and have it in place in my yard. I have purchased nipples to make a watering system and have wanted to make a gravity-fed PVC feeder. My main concern is about the feeder. You can see from the pictures below that there are about two feet under the coop that is wired off where I would like to put the feeder. However, I don't have a lot of space to put it along the outside of the coop without hitting nest boxes, windows, pop door, etc. So asking for any ideas on how to incorporate one into this coop. I'd like it to be big enough to hold enough feed to keep up to four chickens going for at least a week. I'd also like it (ideally) to be underneath the coop.

I also have one general question, related to the fact that to set up a feeder, I think I'm going to have to cut holes in the hardware cloth to put some PVC through. Will cutting out circles in the hardware cloth make it weaker or more vulnerable to predators?

Thanks for your ideas.

M
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. matimeo

Jul 29, 2010
    Oregon
    I'll add that my biggest concern is probably the effect that cutting a hole in the hardware cloth will have on it. I'd like to be able to access feeder from the outside.

3. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    What diameter pvc are you thinking, 4"? I don't think that would be too large of a hole to cut. 4" probably isn't much more than the distance between the staples holding the hardware cloth down. If you were really concerned, you could weave some 14 gauge wire through the first intact squares surrounding the feeder. It looks like your overhang is far enough that you could keep it dry by putting it at the end on the other side of the nest boxes. I'd do the same with the watering system. Keep the reservoir outside and run PVC with nipples inside.

4. matimeo

Jul 29, 2010
    Oregon
    I'm planning on 4" to maximize how much feed I can fit. Thanks for the suggestions!

5. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Quote:Here's what you can do. Cut a square of hardware cloth several inches larger than the area you want to reinforce. Cut a hole inside this piece of hardware cloth the same size as the hole you're cutting for the feeder. Then attach this piece to the outside of your existing wire as reinforcement for that area, using Loxit rings (or zip ties, but Loxit rings are stronger and easier to work with, in my opinion) to attach this reinforcing piece to your existing wire. Use plenty of Loxit rings right around the hole opening. This reinforcement means that it would be much harder for any critter to pull or bend the wire right around the opening.

I love Loxit rings:

http://www.randallburkey.com/1-Lb-Loxit-Rings-OOB-3_8/productinfo/6000/

Of course, cut the hole as small as possible just so that the feeder fits through. And you'll need to make sure that the feeder is attached solidly so that no critter can pull the feeder out and get to the opening in the wire.

6. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Great idea elmo!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by