looking for info on black copper marans and favrolls

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by wolf3077, Dec 18, 2013.

1. wolf3077

wolf3077 New Egg

Jan 27, 2013
    I am thing of get some more chickens of the Black Copper Marans and favrolls

what i need to know is:

are the favrolls good egger all year ?

and i an looking at the Black Copper Marans as free range most of the time
    predators are (day) concern for that one

both will be meat birds as well
    and will both breed well so i do not need to buy a lot of the evey year

have read some on both and have not come up with an info (lot of back and forth )
    if it helps i live in central Mo.

and i perfer to get from a farm not a big hatchery any ids

2. PolkaDot77

PolkaDot77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2012
    Boise, ID
    I have a couple Black Copper Marans from a farm in Idaho, Rolo Farms. One of them is super friendly, the other one a bit more skittish. I free range mind and occasionally dogs get into the yard. Both have been able to run or otherwise get out of the path of the dogs, unlike some of my other breeds, so I would definitely say they pretty day predator safe. I have not hatched eggs from either of them, however, I got the Marans themselves as eggs, and 6 out of 6 eggs hatched. I kept 2 hens, and ate a couple roosters (they were okay as meat birds). The skittish one, Pine, lays the biggest eggs I have ever had a hen lay. They are bigger than a leghorn's. Overall, I really recommend the breed. I also believe Rolo Farms ships eggs and chicks and would recommend them as well. Good luck!

3. wolf3077

wolf3077 New Egg

Jan 27, 2013
    thanks that helps

4. BCMaraniac

BCMaraniac Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    I have Black and Blue Copper Marans along with Birchen Marans. I love them! They are such good foragers. The hens go broody pretty often, so you can let the hens raise babies for you. I have Marans/Orpington crosses right now that I am growing for meat....because I didn't have a BCM rooster of breeding age. They are going to be good meaties, I think. I butchered some blue copper roosters, and they were excellent!! I caponized the crosses, and have been growing them out. Some are 7 months old and are growing nicely. I weighed one of them about a week ago, and he weighs 9 pounds, and is continuing to grow. Since he is a capon, I can grow him out and still have a tender bird. He may end up being Easter dinner.

Now that I have a Marans rooster of breeding age, I will have pure Marans this coming year.

The Marans eggs are outstanding.....no wonder they were James Bond's favorite!

5. Natalijaasbj

Natalijaasbj Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2012
    BCM - great tasting meat, good size carcass of roos, heard that eggas are very tasty. I got some last year - loved them. Only one hen was among them though and it died of Marek's, so I can not tell how good broodies they are. Pick the right breeder though. Do your research, so you do not get weak birds.
    I am planning on getting more this year, I will probably vaccinate for Marek's.

6. BCMaraniac

BCMaraniac Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    Marans are terrific brooders. I had one raise two sets of chicks this past summer and another raise one set. I have enough pullets and hens along with roosters to hatch out my own chicks in the spring and will incubate if I don't have a broody hen when I get ready. Then I will caponize the roos. My Marans/Lavender Orpington capons are getting really big, with one at 29 weeks weighing 9 pounds...the one in my avatar. I plan to let him grow a while longer, track his weight, and get an idea at what age/weight he plateaus.

The Marans I processed this year were wonderful!!

Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  7. PolkaDot77

PolkaDot77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2012
    Boise, ID
    I would be very interested in finding out at what age and weight he plateaus. Please let us know!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by