Looking for info on ISA Browns X ISA Browns for egg laying

newchickens2009

Songster
12 Years
May 18, 2009
BAHAMAS
I am looking into expanding my laying flock of a mix of ISA Browns and RIR. While looking around on info on crossing RIR roo to ISA Browns I came across this add. I have always read on here that crossing ISA Browns to each other will NOT produce a true breed but here it says that it is the same as RIR X RIW. Can anyone give me some more info on this topic please? What I am trying to decide is is it better for me to cross my RIR roo to my ISA Browns or to try and get some more ISA Browns shipped to me (I live in the Bahamas and it is very hard to import chicks) from the USA? I am looking for great layers comparing with the ISA Browns that I have now since my customers just love their huge eggs.
Any help will be greatly appreciated!
God bless!
smile.png

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10211

Last edited:
The ISA is somewhat similar in specialty to egg laying as the CornishX is to meat birds. The ISA is a patented, genetically improved bird with over 30 years of genetic research and selective improvements, at a cost of millions and millions of dollars behind it.

If you can get true ISAs shipped, do so. The "nick" or spark of the hybrid only really works in the first generation. The parent stock is NOT merely RIR over RIW. That cross would get you a good offspring, as would using what you have, an RIR over your ISAa. It would produce a fine production red hen. But, neither crosses spoken of above would get you an ISA.

We are testing ISAs in our own second generation breeding program. Fine offspring. But simply put, they're aren't laying as large an egg as the originals. Just as you and I cannot really make our own CornishX meat birds, we really cannot make our own ISA Browns either. We can make a very good laying bird, but not an identical replacement and won't get identical egg laying results either. Hope that helps.

Back
Top Bottom